cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fort Wilderness Campground

onetwin
Explorer
Explorer
I will be heading to Disney at the end of September. It has many years since I have been there and the DH has never been. We will be staying in Fort Wildness at Disney. So I am asking for any helpful information about staying at the campground like getting to and from the parks, which area is the best to camp in, and any other helpful information. Thanks for any information given. Just want to have a enjoyable time.
2005 GMC 2500HD Everything Stock
2001 Keystone Bobcat 278EBS
2015 Palomino Palomini 150 RBS
2002 Chevy Blazer (chase vehicle)
One Loving husband, Tony
23 REPLIES 23

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
Another good site is fortfiends.net.
Doug

X2, probably the best site on Fort Wilderness available!!!!
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

onetwin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information. It will be very helpful. No one I know has ever stayed in the campground, so I thought I would ask here for help. We are only staying a couple days so I did not want to waste time trying to figure out how things worked there. Thanks again for the help.
2005 GMC 2500HD Everything Stock
2001 Keystone Bobcat 278EBS
2015 Palomino Palomini 150 RBS
2002 Chevy Blazer (chase vehicle)
One Loving husband, Tony

We stay there each year for either 1 week or 2 weeks depending ... Our personal preference is the 700 loop.. The sites are larger and not as many trees on the sides of the road.. There are a few loops in there that are still on the small side , and with a large 5th wheel , that can make it interesting.. Truth be told , there are really NO BAD loops there , just personal preference..

If renting a Golf cart , seriously think about using an OUTSIDE vendor , you will pay 1/2 price or less.. the down side is that you have to go out of the campground and meet them , bring the trailer and cart in , drop the cart and go back out to return their trailer.. and do it again in reverse to return the cart.. BUT still worth the savings in my book..

The rest is really up to the style of vacation you wish to have,, a hectic , rush around type , or relaxing do as you wish type.. you can have either there..

As stated earlier ,utilize the their busses for everywhere , you will find them quick and comfortable ( as comfortable as a bus can be )

Make sure you do the monorail loop , we usually pick a rain day and stop at every hotel , get off and walk around..

If it is hot , don't worry about spending a ton of money on water bottles or drinks, something we learned early on.. Go to any food service counter (that offers fountain drinks) and ask for a CUP of ice water.. They HAVE to give it to you... AT NO CHARGE.. Not a lot of people know this , but it is true...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
The busses for the parks come to the Outpost (near where you check in). You would need to take a bus from your campground loop to the Outpost and then transfer to the bus you need. The Magic Kingdom has the boat or a bus. There are also boats to the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge. If you see a long line for Magic Kingdom, an alternative is just to take the boat to the Contemporary and walk to the Magic Kingdom from there.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in the 400 loop and it's about 2 blocks to the trading post,Hoope De Do Revue and landing where you get the boat for the Majic Kingdom. We could pick up a bus for the Animal Kingdom right at the bus stop on the road by our loop. Same for Splash Mountain. It's maybe 3 blocks to the pool and the Chip and Dale Show.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Another good site is fortfiends.net.

We camp at Fort Wilderness 6 or so times a year since we live nearby and my wife works there. As far as getting from the campground to the parks, the boat will take you to Magic Kingdom; and busses to the other parks as well as Downtown Disney and the water parks. DO NOT try driving to Downtown Disney. The transition of Downtown Disney to Disney Springs is producing a traffic and parking nightmare; so take advantage of the busses.

All of the sites are great. I like to preferred loops (100, 200, and 300 loops). The 300 loop is for pets, 100 and 200 is not. My trailer fits in the preferred sites with no issues, and as stated above, are close to the settlement. The premium sites are a good bit longer, and some are convenient to the Settlement and others to the pool, outdoor movie area and the Meadows Trading Post. As with the preferred loops, some are for pets, and some are not. Most are pet friendly. Just be sure to indicate whether or not you have a pet.

Don't miss Trails End, the restaurant at the settlement. They have an amazing breakfast buffet that is reasonably priced for Disney restaurants. Lunch is off a menu; but is excellent, while dinner is an excellent buffet.

You can also walk around the horse barn, occasionally you can watch them shoe the horses. We were camping there this past weekend and got to watch that. There is also a nice hiking/jogging path from Fort Wilderness to Wilderness Lodge.

You can walk to the dock to watch the Electric Water Pageant on the lake, usually at 9:45PM and also to watch the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom. If you like fishing, we've caught some nice bass from the lagoon area behind the 300 loop.

Hope this helps.

Doug

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Head over to dis boards and check out their camping forum. There are just pages and pages of information about getting around by bus, driving to the parks yourself, getting around inside the campground.

A lot of it depends on what site you booked, what your plan is for the stay, and what your style of camping/theme parks are.

If you have a pet with you, make sure you tell them you need a pet loop. Otherwise I have yet to find a site I did not like at Disney, though depending on your rig and which site level you booked some are just impossible to get larger rigs into and might require a phone call or trip back to the check in settlement to correct.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Travel to the parks from the campground can be done by bus or ferry. Our days of walking any real distance are over so we rent a golf cart to get around the campsite (store, cafeteria, pier to take the ferry, etc.). The campsites were clean, equipment was in good working order, check in/out was easy and we had a great time.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
100-300 closest to boats that take you to park. Go to allears.net for planning information.