cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Tetons first come first serve

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Note: This question is NOT for me and the rig listed in my signature. It is for my parents who will be traveling in an 18' camper van.

My parents decided to take a last minute trip through WY, UT and CO here in a couple weeks in an 18' camper van. They've gotten reservations everywhere for their trip but at the Grand Tetons. They are looking to be there a Tuesday-Thursday. What is their chances of getting one of the first come first serve campgrounds there such as Gros Ventre or Jenny Lake? They do not necessarily need hookups and I would assume could fit even in a tent site due to the small size of their van.

I'd hate for them to get there and be stuck with no place to park. As a planner, this whole trip of theirs is giving me anxiety ๐Ÿ˜„
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor
22 REPLIES 22

donut_dave
Explorer
Explorer
they won't get into colter village unless they have reservations (it is a full hook-up campground). if they go to the colter bay campground just to the east, they should be able to get a site. they are roadway pull-offs with no hook-ups.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Just had to come back and report, they arrived at the Tetons today and even though they didn't get there until after 12:00, they landed an electrical spot at Colter Bay Village. Yay!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Done Gros Ventre a few times. The only days it was full was once over the July 4th weekend. Not many sites suitable for big rigs but loads for smaller ones.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steve, that's a good idea. Except then I would have to figure out how to set up the tent!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
JAC1982, if your parents want to boondock, there is an easy way to avoid losing your site when you pack up for the day -- leave a couple of camp chairs in the site, with a big note saying "campsite occupied" and maybe the current date.

We have done this and have never had anyone poach our site.

And there is plenty of boondocking to the east of the Tetons -- for example, the Shadow Mtn area.

I carry a cheap tent, I think I got for about $20 as a lightning deal on Amazon, but anything from Goodwill that's easy to setup will work. The site really looks occupied when there's a tent.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
JAC1982, if your parents want to boondock, there is an easy way to avoid losing your site when you pack up for the day -- leave a couple of camp chairs in the site, with a big note saying "campsite occupied" and maybe the current date.

We have done this and have never had anyone poach our site.

And there is plenty of boondocking to the east of the Tetons -- for example, the Shadow Mtn area.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but remember that past experience is not necessarily a prediction of the future. This summer will be quite different. Many RV dealerships are reporting that the month of May was the best sales month in their entire history. Many families have cancelled other types of travel and are spending their vacation RVing this year. I would think trips to National parks would be pretty high on people's list for their RV vacation.

So hopefully there will be plenty of spots available like is years past. But there is no guarantee this summer.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Gros Ventre should be easy to get into as long as you do it early, like before noon
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
We stayed at Gros Ventre in the middle of July last year with our 40 footer. We got a site that was more than large enough to fit the motorhome and towed vehicle. There were several open sites. We got there about noon to 1pm, which I would suggest doing as people pulled in off and on all afternoon.

So, getting a spot that would accommodate a 30" 5th wheel and truck would be a good probability?

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
CloudDriver wrote:
We have been to Gros Ventre many times over the years and never had any difficulty getting a site. There is one loop with electric. Gros Ventre is about 10 miles from Jackson, Colter Bay is about 40 miles from town.

FYI, Jenny lake Campground is tents only, no RVs.

If they are in a van that would fit in a normal parking spot, would that be OK at Jenny Lake? It's a RAM van that has been converted, they're renting it.

I think they're going to shoot for the first come first serve at Colter Village since it has the best location for them.

Best way to find out about using a camper van at Jenny Lake would be to call the Park - (307) 739-3300.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Stop at the park office in Jackson they have maps of boondocking sites in the park. We stayed at one last year and it was great there are at least 3 sites

Yes, I found them some boondocking locations on Campendium. Issue with that is, since they only have the camper van, no other car, if they want to leave to go somewhere, they risk losing their spot. In a campground, they can pay and keep the spot for the length of their stay.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:
We have been to Gros Ventre many times over the years and never had any difficulty getting a site. There is one loop with electric. Gros Ventre is about 10 miles from Jackson, Colter Bay is about 40 miles from town.

FYI, Jenny lake Campground is tents only, no RVs.

If they are in a van that would fit in a normal parking spot, would that be OK at Jenny Lake? It's a RAM van that has been converted, they're renting it.

I think they're going to shoot for the first come first serve at Colter Village since it has the best location for them.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Gros Ventre in the middle of July last year with our 40 footer. We got a site that was more than large enough to fit the motorhome and towed vehicle. There were several open sites. We got there about noon to 1pm, which I would suggest doing as people pulled in off and on all afternoon.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stop at the park office in Jackson they have maps of boondocking sites in the park. We stayed at one last year and it was great there are at least 3 sites
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper