cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Herkimer Diamond Mines KOA, NY

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
The final stop in our week-long "New York Water Trip" is also near water, the West Canada Creek. This is a typical KOA with a few extras. There's a diamond mine across the road and a decent restaurant within walking distance.

The place was packed, partly because it's probably the last weekend for seasonal campers and partly because the Girls Scouts were here for their geology badge.

The diamond mine is pretty cool. Herkimer diamonds aren't diamonds but unusually clear quartz crystals that have a similar hardness and cut and polish like a diamond. For a few bucks you can go prospecting in the mine and keep whatever you find. There's a gift shop and small museum. The restaurant - Crystal Chandelier - is a little pricey but the food was good and a nice break on the last night of the trip.

Back to Cape cod to prepare for our escape south.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
1 REPLY 1

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
We have some friends that love that area, glad you enjoyed your self.

PS Just came back from Atlantic Oaks, had a wonderful time... heading to Cherry Hill Park DC and Lancaster PA starting next weekend! :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)