cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hiking with Google Street View

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm a little behind the times. I knew that Street view in Google Maps included runs down ski hills. (If you want another view of me, check out the snowboarder looking down and waving here) Yeah, that's me!

But I didn't know that they had started sending hikers off into our national parks to hike some of the trails and put the results in as Street View. Here are a few I've found that show the great beauty of our NP's.

Landscape Arch at Arches NP I think that may be Partition Arch off to the right.

Navajo Loop, Bryce Canyon NP The pine trees are pretty impressive down there.

Zion Narrows, Zion NP This is where the constructed trail ends and you head into the water to wade further upstream.

Spruce Tree House, Mesa Verde NP Quite a few people here, but you can get the idea of what you'll see.

View of the Tetons across Taggart Lake. Not a terribly long or difficult hike, but the views are stunning.

Skyline Trail, Mt. Rainier NP From the Paradise Valley visitors center, hike up to Panorama Point. I wonder where it gets its name from!

Kaibab Bridge across the Colorado River, Grand Canyon NP If you've never had the opportunity to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, if you take the South Kaibab Trail down to Phantom Ranch, you first hike through a tunnel and then come out on this bridge. Really an amazing experience.

On all of these, you can move around just like any street view plus go back to the map and satellite to see where you are. Yes, you can even "hike" back through the tunnel at the Grand Canyon.

I want this "job". Getting paid to hike these beautiful places!

If anyone else finds some interesting Google Street View scenes from hiking trails around our national parks (or any trail), post them here (look for the gear icon in the lower right corner, select share or imbed, and copy the url as a link). Who needs to travel any more anyway? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)
20 REPLIES 20

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Well I guess you are light years ahead of me, as I didn't know that there were street views of things like ski slopes, trails and such. . .

And if you don't ski, you can still get an idea of the views from up top. From the top of Aspen Highlands you get this great view of Maroon Bells.. Definitely a different view than from Maroon Lake.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
I guess I'm a little behind the times. I knew that Street view in Google Maps included runs down ski hills. (If you want another view of me, check out the snowboarder looking down and waving here) Yeah, that's me!

But I didn't know that they had started sending hikers off into our national parks to hike some of the trails and put the results in as Street View. Here are a few I've found that show the great beauty of our NP's.

Landscape Arch at Arches NP I think that may be Partition Arch off to the right.

Navajo Loop, Bryce Canyon NP The pine trees are pretty impressive down there.

Zion Narrows, Zion NP This is where the constructed trail ends and you head into the water to wade further upstream.

Spruce Tree House, Mesa Verde NP Quite a few people here, but you can get the idea of what you'll see.

View of the Tetons across Taggart Lake. Not a terribly long or difficult hike, but the views are stunning.

Skyline Trail, Mt. Rainier NP From the Paradise Valley visitors center, hike up to Panorama Point. I wonder where it gets its name from!

Kaibab Bridge across the Colorado River, Grand Canyon NP If you've never had the opportunity to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, if you take the South Kaibab Trail down to Phantom Ranch, you first hike through a tunnel and then come out on this bridge. Really an amazing experience.

On all of these, you can move around just like any street view plus go back to the map and satellite to see where you are. Yes, you can even "hike" back through the tunnel at the Grand Canyon.

I want this "job". Getting paid to hike these beautiful places!

If anyone else finds some interesting Google Street View scenes from hiking trails around our national parks (or any trail), post them here (look for the gear icon in the lower right corner, select share or imbed, and copy the url as a link). Who needs to travel any more anyway? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Who needs to travel any more anyway? That was my first reaction till --- I missed the sounds, smells and just the Great FEEL of these places.

But this will be great for those of us who don't live in the middle of all this as you do! and just need to re-charge.

Thanks for sharing,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the links, I bookmarked this so I could take time to look at them!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
I mean, heck there are many many roads that aren't even on street view.

I know, right?!?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I guess you are light years ahead of me, as I didn't know that there were street views of things like ski slopes, trails and such, I mean, heck there are many many roads that aren't even on street view.
Thanks for the tip though.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's cool that street view goes places other than just surface streets.. like race tracks.

Link
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan