cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm getting tired of El Nino.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The El Nino pattern is living up to it's reputation as a conveyor belt for storms across the southern US. Usually winter in Florida is the dry season, especially in southern FL. Most cold fronts come out of the north and stall out around Orlando. The few stronger ones usually push south of the keys with a hour of rain as it passes and a day of cold weather.

In ten years of Snowbirding in WPB I've only put my awning in three times because of thunder storm warnings in the cold fronts. I've already broken that record and I'm glad I did put it in. Having grown up here you could count on one hand the number for days where it rained all day in a year. While January has not broken that number YET and instead of less than 3" of rain... we are pushing 10" for the month, enough is enough.

With El Nino the fronts are coming out of the west across the gulf where it's picking up a lot of moisture... hence all the rain. I doubt TX is getting as much rain from the same front as by the time the front gets there, CA has sucked most of the moisture out of the front.

While it's serious when two are killed in Sarasota by a tornado or cars are blown around yesterday in Ft. Lauderdale, BUT I bet those in tornado alley would be happy with a E-1 that's less than 200' wide and stays on the ground for a couple of minutes. Must be a slow news day when the one yesterday makes the national news.

I know those of you in CA dealing with mud slides or you in the DC\NY areas dealing with record snow do not feel sorry for me but dang I can't do this all of the time. :B

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...
49 REPLIES 49

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we have been lucky, it has been the best winter in years in south Texas. Not much rain or wind and 3 days over 80 degrees this week ahead of us. Have only worn my long pants a few days so far this Winter.
pawatt

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It was 10 degrees in south central Pennsylvania this morning. :M

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Might as well come visit Indiana! Over all, we've had a very, very mild winter. Oh, it's slightly below 32 degrees, but we've had only 1 noticeable snow fall, and it's almost completely melted away. We've had virtually no rain for quite a while now, but cloudy days and VERY clear nights. Very little rain and snow in central Indiana this year, and winter temps, nothing like past years.

The big Eastern snow storm missed us completely, we've not had the artic fronts from Canada this year, and the electric usage in my house (all electric), dropped considerably from last year's usage quite a lot, lowering my heat bill a bunch! Yahoo!

Edit:

But you know, I kind of miss those REALLY COLD Indiana winters! Below photo was about 5 years ago on my front porch! (Those were the days!):

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
El Nino is having a big effect on Yuma AZ also. We live in Yuma six months and this is our eleventh year. It is the coolest, cloudiest, windiest winter season yet. Some here say it is the worst in 25 years.
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

kimbo1
Explorer
Explorer
It's my fault! We just retired in June, since then its rained every where we've been. Been in Moore Haven Fl. since Jan. 3th. lol