cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outer Banks in Winter?

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a winter getaway place not too far from northern VA. Looking at the Hatteras KOA. Anyone have experience camping in this area in February?
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH
13 REPLIES 13

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
I only camp there in the winter. . I was down there this time last month and it snowed and the roads were icy. At other times in past years, temps on occasion would hit the 70's. Personally, I prefer Camp Hatteras. That indoor pool and hot tub are pretty inviting on those cold windy days.
Full timing it since July 2012

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
we have been staying at Myrtle beach in December 2015
and Huntington Beach in January
and currently at Edisto beach (February)

both months .. had mornings in the 25 to 35 degrees.. and a few Highs in the low 40's. and few days in the upper 60's.
and we did have the water supply line freeze (campground side) twice in December.

and FYI.. they are expecting 2 inches of SNOW at the beach here tomorrow.
we shell see.

all 3 places are Nice (state parks) snow bird special.. 1/2 price.
but its not Florida ๐Ÿ™‚ but we are pleased .

much warmer then HOME...

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
We are at OBX now! Can't recommend c.g. As we are in a volunteer spot for The Wright Brothers National Memorial.
We got here Jan 4. We have had great sunny days and we have had rainy cold days. Yes, it's windy. Yesterday, we had the front moving up the east coast, so rain allll day and winds at 22-30 mph.
We have done Florida the past few winters and Cape Cod the past 4 summers. We wanted a new experience and temperatures.
We got it! Not crowded and very picturesque. As someone mentioned a lot of things like lighthouses and aquarium are closed til April.

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Thomas/NH wrote:
I stayed at the Hatteras KOA in Feb 2 years ago. It can be a real ruff spot. We arrived late in the evening after a 13 hr. drive. Trying to find our spot in the dark with a freezing mist and looking through a sea of little sticks with little dark numbers on them I finally found it. It was like setting up camp on the tundra in a gale.

The next day I was up before dawn and was treated to a spectacular sunrise at the crystal place. The following four days that we were there almost summer like... Well, more like summer at the arctic circle. But, we had a great time and want to go back again, this time maybe a little warmer...

Oh, as far as being in the right site. It didn't matter we were the only ones there.

Not knocking other posters, but this is the only post you need to read. Very well articulated!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wind and 90 degrees not so bad. February won't be 90 degrees but will be very windy. Nonstop.
Puma 30RKSS

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've visited the Outer Banks in January, and lived two winters at Myrtle Beach (as well as two winters in central Florida, along with ten years of winter visits to west central Florida).

Just what are you looking for? Outer Banks will mostly be a little bit above freezing, and quite windy most of the time. This would suck for actual camping (I've been too cold to sleep in a tent in February as far south as central Florida) but would probably be OK in a RV, which is more like a house on wheels if you have utilities and an adequate supply of heating and cooking fuel. You might find the Outer Banks nice for outdoor activities, or you might be huddling in the warmth of your RV for the whole visit.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

jayco304
Explorer
Explorer
OBX in winter can be tough with a strong cold wind that will cut right thru you. I do not make plans for OBX in winter because unpredictable conditions. If I see a good weekend a few days out I may make a quick weekend run out there but it has to be relatively warm, sunny, and calm winds
Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on South Myrtle Beach...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thomas/NH wrote:
I stayed at the Hatteras KOA in Feb 2 years ago. It can be a real ruff spot. We arrived late in the evening after a 13 hr. drive. Trying to find our spot in the dark with a freezing mist and looking through a sea of little sticks with little dark numbers on them I finally found it. It was like setting up camp on the tundra in a gale.

The next day I was up before dawn and was treated to a spectacular sunrise at the crystal place. The following four days that we were there almost summer like... Well, more like summer at the arctic circle. But, we had a great time and want to go back again, this time maybe a little warmer...

Oh, as far as being in the right site. It didn't matter we were the only ones there.

This has been our experience of the OB in winter as well.

I'm not sure of your preferences re variable weather but if you want warmer and less variability, I would recommend Savannah/Skidaway again. We agree with you about Myrtle Beach.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
You probably know this - the "few" miles RoyB mentions is really more than 130 miles.

We visit the Outer Banks at least once a year, occasionally in late February. Tentatively, we plan to be there this February, arriving late on the 21st and leaving in the morning of the 25th.

Camp Hatteras and Cape Hatteras KOA are both nice campgrounds. We stay at the KOA, because it is more dog friendly and we travel with 4 dogs.

The temperatures range between lows around 40ยบ and highs around 55ยบ. Those are averages, of course and there can be wide variations.

Hatteras Lighthouse can be viewed from the outside, but is closed for the season as far as climbing.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Hard to beat Myrtle Beach SC -

By the time you zig zag around getting to OUTER BANKS might as well add a few more miles to the major roads and go where you have many more things to do and alot of choices to pick from...

Roy Ken

Thanks. We have been to MB. We enjoyed south of MB, but not MB itself. If I were to go that far I would more than likely return to Skidaway in Savannah.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hard to beat Myrtle Beach SC -

By the time you zig zag around getting to OUTER BANKS might as well add a few more miles to the major roads and go where you have many more things to do and alot of choices to pick from...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS