cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lake City, Colorado campgrounds?

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking about a mid/late August trip to Lake City. Primary objective is hiking, ATVing and Jeeping. Somewhat familiar with the area. Been through there a few times. Want full hookups. Looking at campgrounds on RVparkreviews.com and all reviews are stale. You folks are always my backup. Lots of highly rated campgrounds. Not taking signature MH. Will be in 25' TT and pickup followed by Jeep and ATV trailer. Anybody with recent experience?
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
6 REPLIES 6

rebelopie
Explorer
Explorer
Leave it to me to buck the trend, but I didn't care for Castle Lakes. We stayed there only out of convenience because we brought a large group of kids to Camp Redcloud. We wanted to be close by in case of an emergency. I found the owners to be less than pleasant. They spend a majority of their time running around their domain enforcing their extremely long list of rules. While they do offer some kid-related activities, their actions showed that they were less than happy regarding having children stay there. They were concerned about kids too close to the pond, too loud at the playground, riding bikes too fast, being too rough with the pool table, too messy with the toys, and so on. Adults were also on their radar with those in Jeeps and ATV receiving a constant barrage of orders. At the time, I was working online and had to spend several hours a day in their main building since that was the only place to get a wifi signal. As a result of hanging out in the "lodge" often, I got to see the wound-up owners in action several times per day. In my week there, I had befriended those in surrounding campsites and before we left, they stopped by for a visit. The owners stormed up and chewed us out for having too many people congregated in my campsite. It goes without saying that I won't be going back. The relaxation factor of camping is removed when you are constantly tip-toeing around to avoid getting into trouble.
Past:
2001 Alfa Gold GF34RLIKBS
2006 T@B T-16L Towed with 1996 Lincoln Town Car then 2005 Dodge Dakota

Current:
2011 Skyline Nomad 248 towed with 2009 Jeep Commander

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I love it. 50 miles to town, 10 miles to water and 10 inches to hell. LOLReally, I'm going Sept to be in Creede Sept 23 to the 9th of Oct then South Fork, because is will be 1 degree warmer) from the 10th to the 16th then moving lower to Castle Rock. I will be in Rio Grande Natl Forest for the peak of Elk Rut. Temps have been in low 40s at night so bring your hoodie.

Stebon
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Castle Lakes, especially if you will be jeeping. Very convenient being basically right at the entrance of the Alpine Loop.
2017 Ford F-150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
2007 Rockwood 8318SS
1 beautiful wife, 3 camping kids, 1 camping shih-tzu

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
We always stay at Castle Lakes when in the Lake City area. As a matter of fact, we spent two weeks there last month. Call first for availability. It's on the road thal follows Lake San Cristobal toward Cinammon Pass; you'll have to drive 3.5 miles past the blacktop, but the gravel road is in better shape than the paved road. It's far out of town (just the way we like it) and up around 9200' MSL, but has full hookups and two nice stocked fishing ponds. Some campsites are roomy, others close together. I recommend the campsites in the wooded area closest to the fishing lake. The Highlander RV park along the same road has a nice view, but large RVs are packed really close together.
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thom02099 wrote:
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Thinking about a mid/late August trip to Lake City. Primary objective is hiking, ATVing and Jeeping. Somewhat familiar with the area. Been through there a few times. Want full hookups. Looking at campgrounds on RVparkreviews.com and all reviews are stale. You folks are always my backup. Lots of highly rated campgrounds. Not taking signature MH. Will be in 25' TT and pickup followed by Jeep and ATV trailer. Anybody with recent experience?

Though the reviews may not be up-to-date, there has been mention here off and on for Castle Lakes Campground. It's been many years since I've stayed there, but it was good back in the day, and from what I've read, it's still good.

You are always spot on with you comments. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thunder Mountain wrote:

Though the reviews may not be up-to-date, there has been mention here off and on for Castle Lakes Campground. It's been many years since I've stayed there, but it was good back in the day, and from what I've read, it's still good.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.