cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moab Area Camping

d-mac1
Explorer
Explorer
I've often seen rigs on the right side of 313 not too long after you crest the switchbacky hill when going south on 313 from 191. Is that area the Lone Mesa group site? Presuming so, are there a couple boondock spots a little further down Dubinky Well road? Could they accomodate a 36' trailer?

A little further south on 313 from Lone Mesa is Horsethief Campground. Anybody been there? Sounds like a nice spot. Also, does anyone have any info on Mineral Point Campground which is just a little further down the gravel road past Horsethief?

Also, how about Mineral Bottom Campground that appears to be about 4 miles off 313?

Lastly, any boondocking spots further out Dubinky Well Road or Spring Canyon Road?

Thanks.
2009 Ram 2500 CTD
2012 XLR Thunderbolt 300X10
7 REPLIES 7

d-mac1
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
I was in Moab in April and there were a number of boondockers out Dubinky well

Good info everyone. Do you remember if the boondockers on Dubinky Well Rd were in rigs similar to mine?

Thanks!!
2009 Ram 2500 CTD

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about the boondocking sites, but can confirm that Horsethief is good for your size. We camped in one of the other BLM campgrounds (Big Bend) nearer town when we were there last year, but we drove thro' Horsethief and would MUCH have preferred it there. It's a basic campground, but the sites are nicely separated plus it's very quiet. Good place for those who prefer peace and quiet.
12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Moab in April and there were a number of boondockers out Dubinky well

stein4
Explorer
Explorer
We were looking for the same camping when we went last March. Take a look at Mill Canyon Rd. on 191 north of 313 on the west side.

d-mac1
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
I've been to Horsethief and thinks it's an acceptable "limited" services area.

Good to know.

For the record, I'd rather boondock, so limited services is certainly ok.

What I am looking for are places that can accomodate my rig. 36' long 13'4" tall in the vicinity of Moab. I'd take info on S side of Moab too if someone has it. I've been to Sand Flats alot with my tent and don't think its viable in my rig due to size.

Thanks!
2009 Ram 2500 CTD

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to Horsethief and thinks it's an acceptable "limited" services area.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I spent a night at Horsethief Campground last spring. The campground has been recently redone and is quite a nice primitive campground. The toilets appear to be new and access to the sites is good.