cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moab Campgrounds

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions for Moab campgrounds that allow you to have campfires, and that you aren't right on top of your neighbor. Years ago we stayed at Moab Valley Rv Resort and it was very nice just too close together! Not our cup of tea ๐Ÿ™‚ Will be there june 8-10th. Would like Ken Lake but since that is first come first serve , not wanting to take a chance on not making reservations anywhere. Thanks Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
10 REPLIES 10

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! 4runnerguy thank you so much for all of your info. We appreciate the thought and time you put in for this reply!Great info and very very helpful!!!!!! Thanks again everyone!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

BBFD
Explorer
Explorer
When I called the BLM office to book a group site at Upper Onion Creek the lady told me they are building a new campground across the road from these sites. Not sure how big it will be but I asked if it will be big rig friendly (compared to the stuff along the river) and was told yes. I was also told it will open this spring. If all this is true then it will give some nice capacity to the area.
2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie CTD
2017 KZ Durango 292BHT

Windwalker55
Explorer
Explorer
I like the BLM sites along the river northeast of Moab on 191 coming down from I-70. I don't think they have any hook ups or water but very nice campsites. Sorry that 128 not 191.
2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
We typically camp in this area 2-3 weeks a year (it's just over 3 hours away), so let me give you some insight on the public CG situation.

No fires allowed at Dead Horse Point (charcoal only).

The NFS CG's up in the LaSal's are gorgeous but for small rigs only.

If you arrive decently early on a Monday, you should be able to find a BLM spot, although with your rig (36' isn't it?), you will be limited to the BLM campsites you will fit in. If you arrive around 10-ish, you might luck out and find an open spot at the very popular Goose Island which has some larger sites on the river. Above there is Granstaff CG (where we often end up) but you might walk it first to make sure you can get through the loop at the end. (There's a shoulder to pull off on the river side just beyond where the entrance to the "Porcupine Rim Trailhead Parking") Further upstream, Hal Canyon might have a couple of spots you could fit in and the CG is a loop road. (Some of the other CG's along there are pretty tight to turn around in at the end of the spurs). Just beyond Hal Canyon, Big Bend is one of the larger CG's out there and has some decent sized sites. (But watch out for Upper Big Bend CG as it is another one with very close quarters to turn around at the end). If you're interested in these CG's, check out satellite imagery (Google, etc.) to see what these interiors roads look like. If you find nothing by Big Bend, I'd turn around and head back down stream as the remaining CG's are quite a ways further.

If these are full, then head up to Horsethief which tends to fill later in the day. It's a bit further from many of the attractions and isn't by the river like the more popular ones. But higher up it is a little cooler. I prefer Horsethief to Ken's Lake during the summer, as most of the campsites at Ken's Lake have little shade and little protect if the wind kicks up.

The BLM has just put in over 100 campsites at the Ledges downriver from Moab along the Kane Creek road. Some of these are quite large sites, but the downside is they are 8-10 miles from Moab on the Kane Creek Road and the last few miles are graded but often washboard-y. But they are the last sites to fill. We haven't been out there in the last year, so maybe the road is being better maintained now that they are done with the CG construction.

Except for maybe a couple of campsites, there are no big-rig friendly sites at any of the other CG's along Kane Creek Road nor along Potash Road.

List of BLM CG's in the area

We've never camped there, but there are 120 campsites at the Sand Flats Recreation Area. This area is used by mountain bikers and OHV enthusiasts so sites might get full quickly, I just don't know. The area is pretty close to town.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, nice road
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
313 is a beautiful paved hyway.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
1mtnman. Can you tell me if 313 is paved? Looks like it

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the one I would choose. I wouldn't worry about reservations but would plan on getting in there right after noon to 2:00.
Horsethief

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Generally for "room" you need to go to a public campground, like the state park at Dead Horse or the BLM one, or the NP ones.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
On 128 along the river I think you can have a fire