cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Myrtle Beach

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Niagara Falls, Canada and are looking to plan a week long trip to Myrtle Beach in July.

We have two boys. 9 and 7 years old. I have read a lot about the options in Myrtle Beach but cannot decide where to book.

I know for sure that I want Resort Style. For reference last year we went to Lake George and stayed at Lake George RV park. We loved it. The prior year we went to Ocean City, MD and stayed at Castaways but left thinking there was not enough to do there and that we should have stayed at Frontier Town.

This is our longest trip so far so we really want to make it memorable. I think I've narrowed to the big 3.

Based on our past trips and what we like which would you recommend and why?

Ocean Lakes?
Myrtle Beach Travel Park?
Pirateland?

I am open to other options as well but need full hookups and lots to do for the boys.

We will be in 29ft travel trailer.

Thanks
59 REPLIES 59

Dan50
Explorer
Explorer
No problem Eric. Have a safe trip.
Dan
2014 Ram SLT CC LB 4X4 Cummins Dually
2018 Heartland Big Country 3950FB

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Hi Dan, sorry we'll miss you there. We're heading for home on March 26th; got to get back for our granddaughter's birthday on the 29th.

... Eric

Dan50
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
Myrtle Beach Travel Park is our choice place to stay; we're here now thru the winter.

We used to spent 2-4 weeks in the summer here; close to restaurants, shopping and a ton of activities for all ages in the campground.

One thing though, if you plan on being at one of the big parks in the summer, you really need to make reservations asap.

We will coming down to MBTP for a week starting on the 28th of March till 4th of April. Got to get away from the snow and cold for a while up here.
Dan
2014 Ram SLT CC LB 4X4 Cummins Dually
2018 Heartland Big Country 3950FB

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
HydrogenCyanide wrote:
I booked pirateland site 771. On the map it looked fairly large but who knows. There were still several sites left which was very surprising.

I was torn between 771 (beach area) and 910 (inland). I I'll see if that was the right choice or not when I am there in July.

Did you call them to book it or do it online? The reason I ask is that when I looked at their reservation form online, it was only showing the type of site. If you did over the phone, then that will be some good information to pass along to others. It makes no mention of it (that I have found so far) about being able to get a specific site that way. Might be good to recommend it to them also.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
wvcampers wrote:
And I have never heard of Lake Wood locking the gates. We stayed there 5 or 6 times. They ALL have guards at the gate.

I did not make this up. The gate going in is closed. There is a guard at the gate all night. You can walk in but you cannot drive.

I believe with the gate closed and not being able to drive in is what they menat about being locked. Unlike others, you are free to come and go as you please.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
And I have never heard of Lake Wood locking the gates. We stayed there 5 or 6 times. They ALL have guards at the gate.

I did not make this up. The gate going in is closed. There is a guard at the gate all night. You can walk in but you cannot drive.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had site 854. Right on the beach front road! Great views from our windows of the ocean. The sites back from there were decent size. I think you'll like it! Check out the site on Google earth.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
I booked pirateland site 771. On the map it looked fairly large but who knows. There were still several sites left which was very surprising.

I was torn between 771 (beach area) and 910 (inland). I I'll see if that was the right choice or not when I am there in July.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
dieharder wrote:
Not sure about the rates elsewhere, but I can tell you at Pirateland, your golf cart rental is going to cost you more than the rental of an regular sized vehicle at a car rental location.

That's everywhere...but regualr cars are no fun and you can't drive them during the nightly golf cart parades...lol That's why we bought our own. Plus we use it in the nieghborhood at home...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pirateland! no need for a water park, when you have got a huge one made by nature!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about the rates elsewhere, but I can tell you at Pirateland, your golf cart rental is going to cost you more than the rental of an regular sized vehicle at a car rental location.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
HydrogenCyanide wrote:
Thank you for all of the feedback. I called Ocean Lakes and they are booked for that week aside from some of the non-paved sites away from the beach.

Myrtle Beach travel Park seems a little off the beaten path and my wife wants to rent a gold cart so that one out.

We are not between Lakewood and Pirateland. Wife is leaning towards Lakewood because of the water slide. I am leaning towards Pirateland because it is approximately $75 cheaper.

We'll book something on Monday likely. Both have sites 'close' to the ocean available.

What you choose between these 2?

don't rule out the unpaved sites at Ocean Lakes....they are generally quieter and sometimes a little larger in size. And if you are getting a golf cart, then it doesn't matter where you are..The photo that I posted on page 4 is a unpaved site at Ocean Lakes...4000 section

Are the sites at Lakewood and Priateland that you ca get paved?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
HydrogenCyanide wrote:
Thank you for all of the feedback. I called Ocean Lakes and they are booked for that week aside from some of the non-paved sites away from the beach.

Myrtle Beach travel Park seems a little off the beaten path and my wife wants to rent a gold cart so that one out.

We are not between Lakewood and Pirateland. Wife is leaning towards Lakewood because of the water slide. I am leaning towards Pirateland because it is approximately $75 cheaper.

We'll book something on Monday likely. Both have sites 'close' to the ocean available.

Pirateland

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer