cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michigan SPs

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Comments about availability at Ludington SP got me wondering since we don't usually make reservations unless it is a weekend or special event.

How are high demand parks like Ludington SP midweek, say Sun through Thur? Plenty of space & do they hold some spaces for drive ups?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
7 REPLIES 7

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Maybe I'll look for a SP a little more inland. A beach does not mean much to us, some of the worlds finest pink sand beaches are less than 15 minutes from my house, so we tend to like wooded CGs anyway. We are looking at late June so it is peak season for wherever.

You'll have much more luck that way. Everyone wants to be on Lake Michigan, it's beautiful.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe I'll look for a SP a little more inland. A beach does not mean much to us, some of the worlds finest pink sand beaches are less than 15 minutes from my house, so we tend to like wooded CGs anyway. We are looking at late June so it is peak season for wherever.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Keep an eye on the dates you want and site availability. There are always cancellations. I would not plan to stay there without a reservation. I hope you get in there. It is my family's favorite park.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Comments about availability at Ludington SP got me wondering since we don't usually make reservations unless it is a weekend or special event.

How are high demand parks like Ludington SP midweek, say Sun through Thur? Plenty of space & do they hold some spaces for drive ups?

People plan their entire summer vacation based on if and when they get a site here. The park is always full in the summer regardless of day of the week. You can probably wing it for weekdays when school is in session, but from June-September, you need a reservation for anytime.

There will not be open spaces there, and there aren't drive ups available.

You'll need a reservation for any night you want to stay.

You can always get a site in the city and drive into the state park for the day. These too will probably be full months in advance for summer weekends though.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If you like Ludington as a location, check out the Lake Michigan Recreation Area, it's a pretty big federal park that actually encompasses some of the Ludington State Park's trail system, the two parks share the Manistee National Forest and kind of meet in the middle.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
If I am not mistaken, parks like Holland, Grand Haven and Ludington do not have dedicated walk up only sites.

Specifically in regards to Holland SP, this past summer we made last minute plans to camp there during the week. The site I reserved was only available for three nights (Sun - Tues). We could have stayed the other two nights, but would have had to move each night. This was for the Pines section. The Beach campground had a few open sites, but you would have had to move every night.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Your chances of getting into Ludington without a reservation are not good. They do not hold any sites for drive-ups. During off-season (while school is still in session) you probably have a fair chance. June through August, not so much. The state parks on the west side of the state, lower peninsula, fill up fast. Once you get away from that area reservations still are necessary but usually more readily available. I would never attempt a drive up in the lower. Might chances in the UP but no reason why I would even do that. Why not just make a reservation and be done with it?