cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ne ohio to nyc to see wtc

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
ive never been to the wtc memorial. i spent a few minutes looking on here and it seems I80 to liberty harbor rv is not a bad trip, then a few blocks to the PATH (whatever that is) and right to the memorial? is this right? it scares me to death the thought of towing a fifth wheel into nyc but is this doable? thinking leave afternoon of 9/8 and sleep somewhere in eastern pa and then make to campground at check in the ninth and leave at checkout on the 11th. any thoughts?
6 REPLIES 6

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Try your best not to arrive or depart liberty RV between 7am-10am and 4 pm-6pm, the traffic is insane. I live 20 miles from there, right along route 80. PATH train is quick and easy way into the heart of the city. If you are traveling with the kids, don't let them get lost in the crowds. Hopefully everyone has a fully charged phone.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Another option less stressful: Stay at the KOA in Newburgh (Plattekill) NY and drive to Beacon and take the train into the city or the KOA also has a NYC tour bus that leaves right from the park. Not cheap but well worth it to avoid the stress. Hits all the tourist sites.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Liberty Harbor several times with a 30' tt and long bed pickup. As esyers says, keep your eyes open and be sure to make a reservation. Jersey City is not NYC. Last time there, neighbor was a 42' fiver. Our 30 footer always seems to be the smallest rig in the park. Also good advice about Liberty State Park. You can walk, ride your bike or drive there. PATH trains go to 34thST (Empire State Bldg) or WTC. Commuter ferry leaves from cg to several points in Manhattan.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
I live about 15 miles from Liberty Harbor.

Definitely check to be sure Liberty Harbor has openings. It is very plain but the closest and easiest way to see NYC.

It is congested and tight getting into the campground, but many, many have done it. Just take your time and keep your eyes open. It's 1000 times better than trying to drive in Manhattan.

The WTC Memorial is definitely worth seeing. If you get the chance, slip into Liberty State Park on the other side of the marina around sunset. There's nothing like the reflections of lower Manhattan at sunset.

Drive safe and, above all, enjoy.

tenspeedret360
Explorer
Explorer
Liberty harbor CG is probably your best bet, never been to, but as far as convenient to lower Manhattan, that's the place. As far as bringing a 5th wheel into nyc, specifically Manhattan, total total mistake!!! the roads are congested, other drivers are very impatient, turns are tight, and pedestrians everywhere.
Liberty park to the path, (port authority trans Hudson) is a train shuttle that runs froim NJ into several spots in Manhattan. Its a great deal, and depending what time you want to travel, there's always a train loading. Best of Luck, Have a great trip!!
Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Others have done it why not you. You may want to check on availability of a site. Hate to get there and have to turn around.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu