cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some help from experienced South West Florida peeps!

Stormyjij
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! My husband and I are totally new to not only this forum, but to everything RV. We have a huge learning curve ahead of us but are ready to learn!
We are in our mid/late 40's and have just purchased a new Chev 3500HD and a Cedar Creek 36CKTS. It's going to sit in the yard this winter and then we will take it to our local shoreline for the summer months to learn. NEXT winter we have big dreams of driving it (her?..lol) to our favourite warm place...South West Florida!
The problem I'm having is that I've never been anywhere in Fla except Sanibel, Fort Myers Beach area and Orlando. So much to explore! But it's hard when looking for a place...when you don't know where to look. I know there's a ton of little towns/cities all along that coast that I don't even know. Thought maybe you guys could help out a bit.
Sanibel ( oh how I miss it ) would be PERFECT, but sadly there is only 1 CG and it looks bleak as far as getting in there. Also the kicker is no dogs allowed!! And I have 1 boston that would be very unhappy if we left him behind!
Criteria is this: Because I will be there alone a fair amount, I've got to be able to walk/bike to an awesome beach, grocery store, restaurant and hey, why not some shopping too?? So walking friendly for sure. Long beach area for walks (dog friendly) and nature is important. But in saying that, I certainly don't mind people around. We would have looked at Myrtle Beach (closer to us) but I'm worried it won't be warm enough and it might be rather empty around my camper, which would freak me out. And maybe even depressing, with things closing up for the season....could be way off there, but again, so hard to know if you haven't seen it! And of course, all the amenities...clean, large paved sites, laundry, propane fill ups (whatever that's for lol...see?) palm trees....
So, I'm hoping for a few suggestions from people in the know. I can't tell you how much we have learned already creeping this site. It's actually why we looked at the CC line and also went with the 3500 after nearly buying a 2500. So thanks for that! We feel good about our purchases, albeit rather broke!
Thanks again,
Michelle
16 REPLIES 16

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can search for cgs at woodalls.com too. Sarasota has an Amish winter vacay area called Pinecraft; it's loaded with shops within walking and biking distance (since the Old Order don't drive). Do a search around Pinecraft FL too. Their restaurants are delish too. I'll go just for the whoopee pies and shoofly pies not to mention the outstanding home-style cooking.
Here's an rv resort next to Pinecraft
http://www.woodalls.com/Campground/campgrounddetails.aspx?cgid=760003719
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Dunedin RV Resort. Really nice place, pet friendly, very well managed. Very close to shopping and restaurants and right on the Pinellas Trail bike path. We have often 'biked' to Honeymoon State Park beach. Very nice. Lots to do in the area. Paved road and sites and propane available on site. Great pool and tennis.