cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New satellites are messing up our night sky

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
To me, dark skies are one of the main benefits of boondocking in remote territory -- it's a lot of work to get there, but the stars are astonishing.

So this article is depressing -- apparently, Elon Musk's new sat network is unusually reflective:

Article

I can probably edit out the "sat trails" from my star photos, but I am not happy.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
39 REPLIES 39

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Horsedoc wrote:
How does one determine a star from a satellite if the satellite in is stationary orbit?

Geostationary orbit simply means the satellite orbits at the same angular speed as the earth rotates, not that it's stationary relative to the stars. The stars do not keep their same positions in the sky (as viewed from the earth), I suppose with one notable exception in the north sky.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
How does one determine a star from a satellite if the satellite in is stationary orbit?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am all in favor of cheaper faster internet access, which these sats will provide. But couldn't they have painted them with flat black spray paint??
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Meh. More benefits than not. 1950 is behind us.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
According to this article, they are planning to launch 42,000 of them in the next decade. Its going to get pretty busy up there. As a matter of fact, they will launch one for you personally if you pony up a cool million.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/21043229/spacex-starlink-satellite-mega-constellation-concerns-astronomy-space-traffic

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
the article states that once these satellites reach optimal orbit they are barely visible

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
There are probably a ton more satellites you don't see but I'm on the other end of this spectrum. I enjoy seeing the International Space Station fly over, or tracking aircraft near me with my ADS-B receiver then going out at night to see if I can find them in the sky. But then again, I live in a large metro area and I'm used to see man made things in the sky constantly.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be prepared. New satellites wonโ€™t stop arriving.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those of us that appreciate a beautiful night sky without all of the light pollution should be upset by all of the **** that is being sent into space. If you have never actually seen an unobstructed view of the night sky, you should go to central Idaho and see it for yourself.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Astromers are apoplectic, and that includes the radio observatories
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller