cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie boondocker seeks LTVA with internet

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I've been a fulltimer park rat for a couple years, but will start boondocking this winter in southwest US. I just installed 960 watts of PV panels and 830AH batt bank and amps for cell and wifi. Also, I'm getting an extra water bladder and macerator/tote for black water. I'm in a fifth wheel with 100 gallons of water, 38 black, 72 grey, with 18 gallons of propane (2 x 40#).

I'm trying to find a BLM LTVA location where my WiFi Ranger Elite and weboost 4G-X will find a signal, because I still work. I haven't used either amp yet so I really don't know their capability. I'd like to be able to watch youtube videos. I'll use my satellite for TV.

Don't know if this kind of connectivity is ridiculous or whether there are suitable locations. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay in this spot for 3-4 months.

Thanks
2011 F350 6.7L, 4WD, DRW, 8' bed, Reese Elite 25K
2011 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5, MOR/ryde IS, 8K disc brakes, 17.5" wheels/G114s
Solar: 960 watts, 3,000 hybrid inverter, 830 AH bank, 2 controllers
IT: weboost 4G-X, WiFi Ranger Elite Pack
24 REPLIES 24

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
JFNM wrote:
Howdy outwestbound,

In my 5 years of experience in the SW (and mountain west), you can forget about wifi (if actually boondocking and not close to a town). However; Verizon cellular is fairly good. I like to get way away so I often end up using a cellular amplifier and external antenna. My antenna is on a 20' extending pole and occasionally it has to go way up to get a signal. There are definitely places where no signal exists - especially in "low spots" (canyons and such). About all you can do is scout out those places and check the signal. I've had to pass on more than a few great spots as there was no signal (and I also must have signal due to work).

Edit: Great Job on the solar!!!

Thanks JFNM. I posted this in another forum also. I suspect many are responding for typical BLM land, not LTVA - long term visitor areas. The LTVA are good for 7 months for like $180. I hear ya on wifi - that's out. For cellular, I have Verizon's unlimited, which throttles me to 3G after 10GB of LTE, which is ok I guess, since much of what I'd receive is 3G anyway (I assume). I had been doing 40GB 4G LTE for $244/mo, so the $130/mo "unlimited" plan was to save money.

Love my solar; 2 serial arrays of 3 panels each, two 50amp, 150 volt controllers that make about 250AH/day with decent sun for 5 hours.

I suspect I'd be fine in "BLM" areas with just my 4" stuffy antenna. BUT (and I'm not sure yet), I suspect that if I'm in LTVA areas, that I'll end up with a pole rig antenna like yours.

Is your pole mounted antenna directional or omnidirectional? I'm lazy, so I'd like to stay with omnidirectional, like the Wilson Trucker OTR antenna. But if necessary, I guess I'd mount a directional antenna on my batwing, so I could turn it around from inside the fifth wheel or I guess turning a pole mount isn't that bid a deal, as long as an app says which direction to point it.

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
I thought most BLM was limited to 14 days. Are there areas that allow long term legal camping? I'm in AZ and see the 14 day signs everywhere.

I'm looking for LTVA - long term visitor area. My interest is only the LTVA areas, which allow up to 7 months for about $180. I suspect some respondents will be referring to typical BLM areas, which are a max of 14 days.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
I thought most BLM was limited to 14 days. Are there areas that allow long term legal camping? I'm in AZ and see the 14 day signs everywhere.

Do a search for LTVA - lots of good info out there.
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy outwestbound,

In my 5 years of experience in the SW (and mountain west), you can forget about wifi (if actually boondocking and not close to a town). However; Verizon cellular is fairly good. I like to get way away so I often end up using a cellular amplifier and external antenna. My antenna is on a 20' extending pole and occasionally it has to go way up to get a signal. There are definitely places where no signal exists - especially in "low spots" (canyons and such). About all you can do is scout out those places and check the signal. I've had to pass on more than a few great spots as there was no signal (and I also must have signal due to work).

Edit: Great Job on the solar!!!
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Quartzsite BLM areas have excellent cell service even without 'boosters'.
2X, Both AT&T & Verizon. Don't know about the other carriers...

Imperial Dam has Verizon coverage in most areas, but weak or non existent AT&T.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
2X, Both AT&T & Verizon. Don't know about the other carriers...

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there a way to map the cell towers near a specific location, such as Quartzite?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."