cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NJ campgrounds

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello. Considering 2 areas for July 2018.
I checked RVPR, but would like some real time reviews or ideas.

Cape May area. Anyone have any good suggestions? Looking for something with FHU and a pool.

And then Jersey City! I’m thinking Liberty Harbor RV Park and Marina. Has anyone stayed here? This place will only be to sleep. I know it’s literally a parking lot. We will be in NYC and touring Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty. We don’t need amenities here because we would be heading down to the Cape May area afterwards.

Thanks.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
23 REPLIES 23

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I hope it's not true, but I heard that Liberty Harbor may be sold to developers, anyone hear anything on this?

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
In Cape May, we stay just north of there at the Thousand Trails/Outdoor World park, Sea Pines. It's a decent park but with first come/first served, full hookups aren't guaranteed (in fact, you're lucky to get them).
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks again everyone. The last time I was in Cape May i was on my dad’s shoulders on the boardwalk. So this should be very cool. I also remember people fishing for lobster ata a small bridge, one of the buckets fell over and I took off running. So this should be fun!

I’ll be sure to do some more research.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
For the Cape May area we always used Seashore Campsites, not family owned anymore so not sure how it's been since a corporate buy out
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
When your in cape may, bring bikes if u can, easiest way around town as parking is tight. Sunset beach has beautiful flag ceremony at sunset, and you can see the remains of an old concrete warship sticking out of the water. I've never taken my trailer there but I'm down there a lot each summer as my mom has a house there, so no personal knowledge of pros and cons of each place, but consider them just a place to stay while seeing the sights.

Lighthouse is also fun to go to top of.
Lobster house restaurant gets two thumbs up
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone. Yes for Liberty Harbor it sounds just like what I want. Should be cool.

Cape May area. Yes I did see there was Cape May Courthouse. Really anywhere from the tip north but not all the way out of the Cape. This stay would be during the week. So I’ll have to go through each campground to see how they are setup.

Thanks again!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

jules6
Explorer
Explorer
The Depot is the closest to Cape May beaches( maybe 10 blocks? ) and is an ok campground to use in my opinion.

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
Liberty Harbor is what it is, but I'd say it's the best spot for visiting NYC. Anything else is a fairly long trip either driving or by train. Liberty Harbor is a short, safe walk to the Path train.

Every September,we're in Holly Shores which is about 4 miles north of Cape May and a short hop to Wildwood. You might find Big Timber Lake to be good also, altho it's probably 16 or 18 miles from Cape May.

Holly Shores

Big Timber Lake

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Liberty Harbor is just a parking lot with hookups, but it is a good location for what you want to do - and there are almost no other options in that area!
Suggest you check with www.rvparkreviews.com for info from campers on CGs in Cape May area. Also be aware that there is Cape May, then Cape May Court House, two different towns! Most of the CGs in this area are filled with seasonal campsites, and many were created when rigs were much smaller. While most have mostly level sites, they are almost always very, very close together. I would avoid the KOA in the Cape May area (used to be Lake Laurie CG). They have created a newer section for larger rigs, but their ownership seems reluctant to employ enough staff to keep the place even reasonably clean. If you do plan to go there in July, I would seriously consider making reservations ASAP, particularly if your stay would include days over the weekends. These places are costly, but they fill up fast almost every weekend from April through the end of September.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!