cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northern California rv site

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the early stages of planning a back pack trip along the Lost Coast trail in Northern California and hope to have our 24 foot fifth wheel along with us for my wife to stay in while our son and I do the hike.

Any suggestions as to where we might set up the trailer for a week or so? Ocean views would be nice as would power and water since a week is a bit long for us to dry camp. The time would be the first week in August.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
8 REPLIES 8

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can get your rig to the RV park at Shelter Cove, that is where I would start the trail. I am not sure where the nearest train station would be -- maybe Leggett??

Also, if you have a choice of dates, talk to the Ranger about the best time of the month to go -- is it better to go with a full moon or new moon (big tide swings), or half moon (less tidal variation)?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much to all for the thoughtful suggestions.

Profdant139 ---- we don't know yet where we will start. Any suggestions? We hope to get down there ahead of our son who plans to take the train to the region. We then have to pick him up somewhere with our truck and return to start the trail. We have both hiked the West Coast Trail in BC so we are familiar with hiking on sand and, you are right, it is more difficult than hiking on a trail.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Ferndale fairgrounds is great place, i'd go with that. Westport works but I don't know about hook ups, but you got the ocean view, a good one.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the Benbow area is close and nice RV park there. Good read on the lost coast trail: https://socalhiker.net/the-lost-coast-trail-an-overview/

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where are you going to pick up the trail? Maybe the Westport area is closest to the trailhead. Or Shelter Cove? Both have RV parks. Very twisty roads in that whole neck of the woods -- choose your route carefully.

I have done bits and pieces of the trail --never the whole thing. A lot of it involves walking in the sand, which is fine if you have preconditioned your legs for that.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Consider Brookings. Brookings harbor RV park is right on the water with great views and a short drive to town.

Brookings is nowhere near the Lost Coast.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Ferndale is close to the trail, you can leave the wife and rv in the fair ground rv park. She will like walking into town with all the shops and thing to see. I saw where the trail is only 25 miles long so Brooking Harbor would be hours away. Also Riverwalk RV park is nice and close also.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider Brookings. Brookings harbor RV park is right on the water with great views and a short drive to town.