cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plans for new campground at Ford Ord, near Monterey, CA

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw the plans for the new campground that will be put in near Sand City in what used to be Fort Ord, near Monterey, CA. It looks like there will be about 45 RV spaces, not sure if they will be full hookup, but they're really close together. There are also about 40 or so tent sites, they are more dispersed, and also about 10 bike in/walk in sites.

Apparently California Fish & Game didn't want the campground to even be built, but the supporters preservered and it's in progress. It's going to be called the Fort Ord Campground & Beach Access.

Upon edit, it will be a California State Park.
7 REPLIES 7

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Is this the place your talking about? http://www.montereyherald.com/bartertown_fortordburns/ci_23007777/state-considers-campsites-fort-ord...

That's it. Supposedly at the meeting where these plans were on hand, they said they expect it to be one of the most popular state campgrounds and the sites would be about $45 (at least that's what I heard), but I'm guessing the pricing would be more in line with Seacliff at $65 for hookups and $55 for non-hookups.

Guessing the homeless will have to go further north, or inland?

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Man, That's right across the street from Seaside High School where I graduated. We used to ditch class and hang out at the beach in Sand City. Hope there still not doing that? lol I bet it will be pricy, like the one in Marina dunes.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wonder where all the homeless campers will go.....

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the place your talking about? http://www.montereyherald.com/bartertown_fortordburns/ci_23007777/state-considers-campsites-fort-ord...
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
I read the EIR including comments, sounds very fortunate that the CG is going to be built at. There were a considerable number of individual citizens and groups the strongly opposed development of any kind among those dunes. Some even want to restrict access of all kinds to the dunes.

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
That area really needs a nice campground. Too bad it is so small in terms of number of spaces and that they are crammed together. Sounds like no RVers were involved in the design. I understand that space = money, but I don't think most people enjoy parking lot living.
Roaming Full Timer

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know any details, but I am surprised it was approved for construction. I would guess it took over 5 years for the approval process.