cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Possible help for Hunting Island SP after Huricane Matthew

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Hunting Island State Park and Edisto Island State Park were wrecked after Hurricane Matthew. Edisto has recovered well. Hunting Island is still a wreck. The local staff is doing the best they can but they need some major assistance. I met with a US congressman this past week and mentioned the condition of Hunting Island SP to him. After the conversation, I would like to suggest to all Hunting Island lovers to write, call or contact your state representative about the need for some major assistance for Hunting Island SP. This campground lost half of the campsites but the remaining sites are in bad shape, drainage is terrible and the roads are terrible. More help from the state or FEMA is needed. If enough voices are heard, it may help. Just a suggestion to help a favorite campground of many.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
3 REPLIES 3

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Never going back to Huntington Island unless they do a major overhaul of all the sites and roads.

Even the sites close to the flooded beach section are in terrible shape no landscaping just tree stumps. Now, with their turning the old beach section into a day use area your going to have hundreds of beach day trippers wandering through the campground. The park manager said there is no way to keep that from happening.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Edisto Beach State park used the sand that covered half the campground to form a large dune between the sites and the beach for protection. They had to replace the entire electrical system so they upgraded it to a 50 amp service. They raised the elevation of many of the sites and graded the main roadway. Still no sewer hookups. The bathhouses were also remodeled. The main issue with Hunting now is the drainage which adds to the bug problem.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I have never been to Edisto Island, but was at Hunting Island last month. Yes, I agree that the park isn't the same as it was before Matthew, but I didn't think it was "a wreck". The biggest issue we had was the biting flies that were horrible one day (even on the beach). Yes, the park still needs lots of work, but it was a great place to go to the beach. I didn't have the best site, but it was what was available that I felt like I could comfortably get in with my new to me MH.

AikenRacer, please share what has been done at Edisto to make it so much better. I don't live in SC, but would like to see the state parks get the funding they need, as SC is halfway between my daughter (and her kids) and me, so it is usually our summer vacation beach spot.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS