cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quaint historic towns around Washington & Oregon

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can anyone suggest any attractive quaint historic small towns that would be nice to visit in WA & OR? Thinking of ones that have been kept up and/or gone through a revival of historic commercial areas and have areas with old heritage/historic houses? Port Townsend in WA and Rosedale in OR are ones that come to mind for example. Maybe ones that are on the smaller side and not overun with summer tourists.

We made an unplanned detour off I-5 on the way to Portland last summer and found ourselves in Rosedale. Had a nice stop and lunch and walked around the old downtown. What a lovely historic town with residents and shop owners that have an obvious great pride in it! Super friendly people too.

Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Molson and Chesaw, Washington. Also Liberty and Republic.

LFish
Explorer
Explorer
Port Townsend, WA and Fairhaven, a neighborhood in Bellingham, WA.

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to eastern Oregon, and heading to Mitchell - may as well keep going to John Day, then on to Baker City. Once there, head north to LaGrande, Wallowa and Enterprise. Very nice state park in Wallowa.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good suggestions. I like the towns around the Sound, the San Juan Islands, the Methow Valley, and Route 20 out towards Republic.

In OR, Newport, McMinnville, Sisters, and Bend are fun.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
whidby Island Wa. has many small quaint and historical little towns located all around the Island.

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
Far northeast Oregon is Joseph. Lots to see and do there.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
there are many tourist town in wa and Or. and there are many quaint little towns in eastern Oregon.one is Mitchell Oregon. the old hotel is one that was built in the 1800's and still a nice place to stay. it is within a few miles of the painted hills of eastern Oregon

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
A few of our favorites:

Oregon - Sisters, Baker City, John Day

Washington - Port Townsend

This is why we enjoy traveling the secondary roads.... you see more!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
We like Poulsbo and La Conner.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dang, I meant to say Silverton in my original post! Silverton is absolutely a great town. Thx for the CG suggestion.

Silverton is the definitely the kind of old historic town I'm looking for. It's the kind of place where I could easily live if I had the choice.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Good suggestions above....also check out Winthrop, WA.
And there are some good campgrounds nearby... and beautiful North Cascades drive and scenic hwy.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Can anyone suggest any attractive quaint historic small towns that would be nice to visit in WA & OR? Thinking of ones that have been kept up and/or gone through a revival of historic commercial areas and have areas with old heritage/historic houses? Port Townsend in WA and Rosedale in OR are ones that come to mind for example. Maybe ones that are on the smaller side and not overun with summer tourists.

We made an unplanned detour off I-5 on the way to Portland last summer and found ourselves in Rosedale. Had a nice stop and lunch and walked around the old downtown. What a lovely historic town with residents and shop owners that have an obvious great pride in it! Super friendly people too.

Thanks!

Off of I-5 near Salem,go east about 20 miles to Silverton. An old historical town. Historical murals painted all around the buildings. There is a beautiful Botanical Garden as well. There is a great RV Park called Silver Spur about 1 mile out of town. Plenty of wineries,

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have been to Leavenworth. Nice town. I remember it was pretty hot out and there was there was a wildfire nearby and all the locals were on edge and high alert. Have been pondering another visit there. Took forever choosing the right German beer to take home for a friend. That's a good example of a town that underwent a revival and re-invented themselves, which in their case out of a long decline in the forest industry.

Have been along the OR coast many times. Have visited Astoria and Seaside. Last time there they had the world beach volleyball championships - that was interesting! Definitely some interesting small towns up and down the coast. Walked around the old part of Neskowin on the water where all the old summer cabins are which was interesting.

I like it when you're doing a long drive between major cities and you do a stopover in a small town for a break and you find yourself in one of the those lovely quaint historic towns that seems to pop out of nowhere.

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Leavenworth, WA which is set up with a Bavarian theme and is nestled in the North Cascade Mountains. Sisters, OR between Salem, OR and Bend, OR again in the Cascade mountains. Headwaters of the Metoulis River is very interesting as well if you head this direction. Just to name a few.

Enjoy!