cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about bay front San Diego RV Parks

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We spent one month last year at the Chula Vista RV park on the bay south of San Diego. I was told the Mission Bay RV park on Mission Bay which is north of San Diego was very nice. We looked at the virtual tour that left us with many questions. Have any of you stayed at both parks and could you advise us on things like Kayaking and mass transit in regards to Mission Bay RV park location. Just wondering if we should try the new park or stick with Chula Vista. The pricing is about the same. Thanks for any advice. David
7 REPLIES 7

RVM5
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.
2008 Jayco Jay Feather 213 EXP
2012 Suburban 2500

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed in both. Campland is referred to as Woodstock. Parents turn the kids loose thinking it's okay for them to run through others' sites. Mission Bay is next worst. Chula Vista still has the summer kids, but they just seemed better behaved or controlled. Stayed at both with the grandkids this summer. Would never return to Mission Bay RV during the summer. During the non-summer months, Campland is still party city. Mission Bay is really just a big asphalt parking lot with hookups. It was all but deserted when we stayed at Chula Vista last January and did a drive through. Chula Vista is much prettier, but further from the San Diego attractions. And traffic can be a hustle during commuting hours. I have no idea about kayaking or mass transit.
When the grandkids are only coming for a short visit, we stay at Bernardo Shores between Imperial Beach and Coronado. It's an adult park. Already booked a month there this winter. I highly recommend it.

RVM5
Explorer
Explorer
Any additional input? We are debating the same thing for the end of December.
2008 Jayco Jay Feather 213 EXP
2012 Suburban 2500

dolphindog
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer Chula Vista, but, I like quiet and and the hedges that seperate the rv spaces. Mission bay great location, but, more like a parking lot and more kids and noise.

Chula vista now has a bike,kayak, rental shop at the marina.

SteveRuff
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed only at the Mission Bay RV Park but really thought it was great. Well kept, well run, and convenient to much of San Diego.
Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Chula Vista RV park is a lovely park. We've stayed there many times, always enjoying the quiet location, and only a short drive to downtown. Campland on the Bay is a fantastic family resort that we take the grandkids to every year (in the past we took the kids every year). Lots of planned family activities. Games for kids of many ages. Playground, bike paths and water rentals. That said, remember LOTS OF KIDS. If you want a quiet, relaxed atmosphere, this is not the place. Last year our neighbors left in a huff because so many children infringed on their campsite. Gee Whiz, kids take shortcuts. Mission Bay RV park is just across the inlet from Campland. It used to be a membership park (I think) and became a private resort campground. It is fully paved, well kept, and has a small beach on Mission Bay. I believe they have water rentals, but if not, a long walk, short bike ride will bring you to Campland with rentals. WholesaleWarranties.net has had a few charity Rallies there, we've not attended, but I bet you could call the crew there and ask their experiences at the park. (877-683-2878) Really, I'm not advertising for them, I just think they would be a good resource for your question.
Truly, you can't go wrong with any of the three parks.
Happy Trails.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the parks match up on amenities and price the Mission Bay location is far better. I've seen the CV park but never stayed in either but lived in San Diego for 50 years.