cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions Re Cataloochee Campground in GSMNP

AtlantaGuy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm planning my first trip to Cataloochee campground in the Great Smoky Mountains National park.

Does anyone know if they allow you to attach a hose to the water source there and fill your RV tank? I know they don't allow hook ups for extended periods of time but was just wondering if you could fill at the source and then return to your site?

Also, do cell phones work in the campground? I've heard some say Verizon is "spotty" there but that was years ago.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
2011 Winnebago View 24K
2013 Honda Fit
5 REPLIES 5

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago we drove from Maggie Valley to that CG in our SUV and it scared my DW to death. I grew up driving that kind of road and had no problem with it, but I remember thinking there was no way I would ever take a camper on that road. Like melandme said, someone would have to back up out of a blind curve if you met anyone.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
How big is your RV? I have only driven there coming in from the south on Cove Creek Rd. We left the MH at the CG and drove the Wrangler It is narrow and crooked with some gravel section inside the park. If you have a big 5th wheel or Class A it may be diffcult. I could drive my 26 ft C back there just hope I don't meet anyone. Many places someone would have to back up. What I saw in the CG where pop ups and small TT. Don't want to scare you just wanted to make you aware. Every driver is different, some would never attempt it and others wouldn't think twice. Google map it to see. Enjoy your trip. Cataloochee is my favorite place in GSMNP

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the area. SMNP today went to phase 2 of their opening plan. I am not sure when you plan on camping but the campgrounds are still not open.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
So if thereโ€™s a rule or regulation, MDK, and you violate it but donโ€™t get caught itโ€™s ok?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
AtlantaGuy wrote:
I'm planning my first trip to Cataloochee campground in the Great Smoky Mountains National park.

Does anyone know if they allow you to attach a hose to the water source there and fill your RV tank? I know they don't allow hook ups for extended periods of time but was just wondering if you could fill at the source and then return to your site?

Also, do cell phones work in the campground? I've heard some say Verizon is "spotty" there but that was years ago.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

If nobody sees you do it, or rats you out, go for it.
I got caught and warned by a ranger in GCSR about 10 years ago. I guess she noticed the hose running across the roadway, and failed to see the humor. I was almost full, when I got caught, so no real harm. I was using the gravity fill, and not connected at both ends.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)