cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rogers Rocket Mobile Hotspot On Verizon??

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are on our boat in BC Canada waters for a month an miss have data on our Verizon smart phones. We do have the call roaming and can text message.

I was looking at the Roger Mifi Rocket Mobile Hotspot on a monthly contract at $199.00 to purchase, and wondering if it would accept a Verizon sim card when back in the states. We could share the use and cost of the data between the boats we travel with.

Anyone have experience with this device? Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021
6 REPLIES 6

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just talked to a friend that has a Verizon MiFi that is not sim locked. He drove to White Rock, BC and went to a Telus stand at the mall and signed up for a month to month MiFi account with billing to a credit card and got Telus sim for his Verizon MiFi. He got a 6g per month plan for 60 dolllars. He needed a Canadian address which he made up. He reported that it worked well. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have an answer for you but the one thing I'd look for is to see if the RocketSticks are SIM locked to Rogers. I have no idea if they are or not.

I do have a 3G Netbook that came from Rogers and I was able to use it with a T-Mobile SIM in the US (not locked) so it's possible that the RocketSticks are not locked either.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Elvin, thanks for the reply. We get pretty good phone coverage with Verizon's 15 dollar per month North American roaming add on. Data is completely different issue and we must keep it turned off in Canada or the charges are VERY expensive. In the new Rocket MiFi worked ok, then several boats could share the monthly cost while we boated there in July and August.

This new Rocket appears to be a LTE sim based unit. I am not sure, and will ask Verizon about putting one of their sims in it.

Just read about Verizon and Canada. They sure would get all the snowbirders if they had a seamless network. But that will years to happen.

Chris

D_E_Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
we had the Rogers rocket hub for 3 years, signal in our neighborhood was poor to none. Finally got rid of it and went with satellite internet from Xplornet. Rogers could not be used in the US. It is in their contract. I had also bought the device and would put it on seasonal in the winter. Glad I don't have it. I certainly welcome Verizon to Canada-if they come. Lots of cell companys have been sharpening their pencils and plans with just the hint of verizon coming here.The major 3 cell companies here even have ads on tv telling us not to let Verizon in to buy a few airwaves!
Hopefully you can find a better alternative than Rogers, or Bell or Telus-they all have the rocket type hubs..
Dona and Elvin

2010 Dodge Laramie 3500 4x4 Mega cab-in Pearl black/tan
2007 Open Road 359RL3S
2004 Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
therink wrote:
I use Foxfi app available free on the Google Android market. It turns your Verizon phone into a very good WiFi hotspot for no additional Verizon charge (except data usage) and it is legal to use. Not sure if there is a similar app for IPhone or not.

So, I am talking about the need for data in Canada, are the ability to use a Rogers MiFi in the use US in the off season. I know all about tethering to a Android phone, which is not the issue that I asked about. Chris

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted, misunderstood the question.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.