cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Salt Lake and Heading North?

mytime
Explorer
Explorer
All recommendations welcome, Traveling North on I-15, wanting to know the best RV Parks to stay while vewing the Area, up through Montana and Idaho. Would like to visit Grand Tetons, Yellowstone etc. Are reservations required this time of Year?
2007 Country Coach, Allure 470, 42',ISL Cummins 400, TV- 2011 Chevy Silverado, Blackhawk and Brakemaster.
8 REPLIES 8

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed out next weekend for the Tetons and then on to Yellowstone. We have reservations at Colter Bay RV park, FHU and at Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. We stayed at Fishing Bridge a couple of years ago.....very tight sites and we are pretty small compared to some....
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
I booked a site at Fishing Bridge RV Park a week ago for 5/23 thru 28,
no problem they told me they had 75 sites still open for that time period.
Yellowstone has a good website on CG resv. and whats available,don't have it handy but sure you can find it if you look around

Sorry didn't notice the size of your rig That will make a difference

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good choice for base camping for Yellowstone would be Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. Nice clean CG with room for the larger rigs, FHUs, etc., and considering CG prices in the area, not terribly expensive. We have stayed there multiple times. Very convenient. If you don't have a toad, you may be able to rent a car in West Yellowstone for touring the park - much better than doing so in the 43' RV, though the latter is done all the time as well. Definitely plan several nights there. Get reservations for Yellowstone NOW.

Cowboy RV gets better ratings, but we have been to the Pocatello KOA several times & prefer the location - a little easier on/off from I-15, IMO, and though the park itself is old & a bit shabby, the scenery is better there than at Cowboy. For an overnight, it's fine, and has more sites available than Cowboy (from recent observation.

I second the above recommendation for the SLC KOA. For an urban CG, which it is, it has a surprisingly isolated feel, and many sites have some shade (a bonus in the summer!) I'd recommend asking for one of the premium sites if you're spending more than a night - they do have more space and are probably better for the longer rigs as well. They'll be closer to the facilities in the satellite building, which we found to be somewhat cleaner than those in the main building, due to the latter's proximity to the pool. Convenient to the downtown sites too (Temple Square, etc.)
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
You won't fit. Check out the private rv campgrounds just outside the park, perhaps West Yellowstone. I have not stayed at any of the private campgrounds.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

mytime
Explorer
Explorer
Fishing Bridge site says RV's up to 40', we are 43'?
2007 Country Coach, Allure 470, 42',ISL Cummins 400, TV- 2011 Chevy Silverado, Blackhawk and Brakemaster.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA in Salt Lake City is a great place to spend the night, lots of grass and shade. The Cowboy RV Park in Pocatello, Idaho, is also a very nice park to spend the night. Then go east to avoid the high passes and turn north to Colter Bay RV Park in Grand Teton National Park followed by Fishing Bridge RV Campground in Yellowstone National Park. Have a great trip.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mytime wrote:
Are reservations required this time of Year?
Go to the website and try to reserve.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you plan to stay in the park then reservations are a must for Yellowstone/Tetons. If you stay outside the park plan on over and hour drive each way getting in and out of the park sites that you will want to see. Fishing Bridge is the only CG in YNP that has hookups and you may already be too late to get a summer spot there.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper