cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sedona AZ

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a June trip to Sedona AZ. We have a place to stay already. We plan to be there about a week and want to know what places to see within a days drive. We plan to drive to the Grand Canyon.

DH is 71, I'm 64 and both are a little achy in the bones sometimes. Not looking for strenuous. Want to see a lot of natural beauty... great local food... star gazing etc.

Good scenic road routes encouraged!

thanks
cts
34 REPLIES 34

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
OP here, our visit to the GC was hot and crowded. We had to take the shuttle IN to the park due to crowding so we were not able to see anything without taking the shuttles to designated drop offs. We plan to go back in the cooler months when it is not so busy. The "locals" told us that October was best. The air was not as clear as we'd have liked... it was like looking thru a thin gauze. This was my first visit to GC... looking forward to a more satisfying visit next time.

cts

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
That would be neat to see the inversion which doesn't happen a lot. However, not when you haven't seen the canyon - ever. Hope your next trip is better.

Trailer Village IN the park is the place to stay.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
There are two campgrounds on the South Rim. FHU with larger sites is Trailer Village; Mather has no hookups and has a size limitation.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
BJR123 wrote:
Staying inside the park was not possible. We will be staying in Williams Az.From what I have read Williams is about a 35 min. drive to the South Rim. We plan on being at the park each day very early morning....trying to take a break during the hottest part of the day....and back to the park early afternoon.This will be our first trip to the Grand Canyon.Any suggestions,tips,would be appreciated. We plan on taking at least 3 days for the park. Thanks in advance

Just visited the GC a couple weeks ago. DW had never seen it. Still hasn't seen it. The day we went into the park happened to be the day an inversion occurred and the clouds filled the canyon. From Mather point we could see about 50 feet up, down and out. The fog was denser than anything we have here on the west coast.

There is a campground with full hookups in the Park. We checked it out and will make reservations there for the next trip. Don't have the litature for that campground with me. Think the name is something like Mather Trailer Village.

There is also a large private campground with full hookups in the town of Tusayan (Grand Canyon Trailer Village about 5 miles outside the park entrance). Walk across the street to the IMax theater for a great and short video of the canyon. You can also get your passes into the Canyon Park at the IMax theater.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

BJR123
Explorer
Explorer
BubbaChris and Lauren thanks for the info. We hope to get the feel of things the first day. I also thought the shuttle would help. Great tips.
BJR123

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
It will take you about a hour or so to drive to the entrance gate of the South Rim and about a good 20-30 minutes to get to the Rim and (hopefully) find a parking spot. This time of year it will be crowded.

I would recommend, if you can, leave VERY early in the morning. You will miss the best of time of day there - sunrise - unless you drive up in the dark; and not sure when the gate opens. The shuttle to the west is great with all the stops.

We will be there once again this fall for 5 days; we love it there.

See www.LaurensPix.com and click on Grand Canyon for a taste of what you will see.

Enjoy!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
BJR123 - Although it may not feel like it at first, the shuttles inside the park are a real good thing. We'd sometimes walk the rim trail between stops. Those can create great spots to stop and soak things in.

I'd agree that lunch at El Tovar would be a neat option. I'd also suggest packing a cooler daily that you can leave in your vehicle and visit as needed. Having cool beverages and snacks of your choosing available takes some stress out of the visit.

Be sure to drink plenty of water while there. During mornings or evenings you may come across deer that are pretty acclimated to tourists. Take photos, but don't get too close.

You should be able to get a current park newspaper off the NPS.gov website to see what seasonal issues they've highlighted. Right now you may be able to see smoke from fires near the North Rim that are just being "managed" instead of being aggressively fought.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

BJR123
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the info. We are really excited about the trip. I have read and printed all the info I could find. But first hand knowledge is the best. Thanks BJR 123

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
BJR123 wrote:
Staying inside the park was not possible. We will be staying in Williams Az.From what I have read Williams is about a 35 min. drive to the South Rim. We plan on being at the park each day very early morning....trying to take a break during the hottest part of the day....and back to the park early afternoon.This will be our first trip to the Grand Canyon.Any suggestions,tips,would be appreciated. We plan on taking at least 3 days for the park. Thanks in advance

Williams to S. Rim is about 55 miles. Plan on spending the day there. Generally the S. Rim will be about the same temperature as Williams as both are about 7000' elevation.

At the Canyon have lunch at least one day at El Tovar lodge.
Plan on driving the east rim route from S. Rim village to Desert Point. About a 20 mile total drive with 5 overlook spots as well as the Tusayan Ruins and Museum. Usually during the summer months the W. Rim route is closed to cars and accessible by shuttle trams.

We also love Williams and stay at Grand Canyon Railway RV park. It is located next to the train station and hotel. Guests can use the hotels indoor pool. In Williams is Bearizona, a drive thru animal park well worth a visit.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

BJR123
Explorer
Explorer

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
There are 3 wineries at the town of Page Springs about 15 miles from Sedona. Great place to spend an afternoon. Page Springs Winery offers lunch along with tasting.

There are several more wineries in Cottonwood and Jerome.

North of Sedona on the way to Flagstaff is the vista scenic view. It is located at the top of the well known switchbacks on highway 89A. At the vista is a short walking path overlooking Oak Creek Canyon. Local Indians sell their arts and crafts here.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
We will add our vote to the list for the Chapel and Jerome! If you like nature there probably isn't a bad place to just wonder around in the area. :B

BTW Jerome is for your toad NOT your RV.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
So glad you gave a trip report. ๐Ÿ™‚ Wish more would do so.

It sounds like you did most everything in one week's time. What a nice trip you had. Come back and spend more time.

Bet you wish you were back in those hot springs to relax!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, Update!

Just got back late last night from our Sedona trip. Wow. Seriously...WOW. We saw: Jerome was ok, but the wrong turn to Prescott through those mountains was fabulous! V-V was very cool. Had a great conversation with the volunteer ranger who was a fulltime RV'r. Very knowledgeable. Montezuma Well/Monuments... a Pai ceremony was in progress... interesting but temps in the high 90's. Sedona... gorgeous everywhere you look. Oak Creek Canyon... went thru 3x...gorgeous each time. Page Fish Hatchery... no trout in the Show Pond. Tuzigoot... cool. Red Rock loop...waaayyy cool! Volcanoes NP... WOW! Petrified Forest/Painted Desert... gorgeous and want to go back when it isn't hot. Tlaquepaque... nice architecture...but didn't really go for the shopping. Went on this trip to SEE the natural wonders. Did go to the Grand Canyon...note to self... go BACK when it's cooler and before school lets out. GC very crowded...and hot. Did I mention that it was HOT??? The furnace got kicked on mid trip. Understand the concept of siesta very well now.

Shout out to Miley's Mexican Restuarant in Sedona. Good food good service. We lived on Mexican food the entire trip.

First stop was new Drury Inn in Colorado Springs one night. Next was 2 days in Pagosa Springs soaking in the hot springs... ahhhhhhh. Then on to Sedona for a week. Drove through more Indian territory than I thought possible. Navajo Nation is HUGE. Made me rethink my definition of "middle of nowhere" and gave me anxiety about our water stores... did NOT have enough water if something happened. Won't make that mistake again.

Anyway... we just had the greatest trip ever thanks to all your suggestions!
Many thanks
cts