cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

snowbirding

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of going south for a month this coming Feb. This would be our first time other than just passing through.We are looking for recommendations for a park but not the resort type. The following states are where we are thinking. Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and possibly the Florida panhandle. Also if near water the wife is concerned about our dog near alligators. Has anyone experienced any problem with them. I've tried reassuring her there wouldn't be as he'd be on a leash but of course I'm not speaking from experience
15 REPLIES 15

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I can comment on the dogs vs gators situation. I actually saw a coed walking her rat dog on a leash around Lake Alice which is on the University of Florida campus. A gator snatched the dog leash and all, they are VERY fast. But usually the dangerous time is around dusk (or dawn if you are an early riser) or at night; and mainly small dogs. But just this week there was a story where a women claimed her hundred pound dog was attacked by a gator. It would have to be a very big gator is all I can say.

Swimming dogs are at risk tho.

How likely is this? Not very it's like hearing about someone get hit by lightning. Our dogs are around water and we have never had a problem in 40 years. But we have never had small dogs.

But don't go swimming at night (especially for kids and small women) and don't walk your dogs along the water's edge then either. Keep in mind that if you are near a body of water in those areas then there are gators near by. But you will rarely see one in the day. The no hunting policy has worsened this situation.

Oh one one last thing DON"T EVER FEED the GATORS or be around areas where other people are doing that.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper