cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

stone mountain park

kellyandpatti
Explorer
Explorer
stone mountain park I've heard a lot of complaints regarding unlevel sites here, we will be staying 6 nights next july. We will be in site 432 anyone stayed at this site before. Is it level,good site. Also we will be going into downtown Atlanta most days,Plan on using MARTA system, good or bad with that. Thank you
5 REPLIES 5

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Marta park and ride lot near Stone Mountain, I have parked there to ride into downtown. Marta will get you close to destinations, but you will still have to walk several blocks in most cases. I highly recommend using Marta as parking downtown is expensive and not necessarily closer than Marta stations. Look up the maps online before you go and plan your stops accordingly. Do remember that you are in a city and so should take safety precautions accordingly. Some will say it isn't safe, but I think using common sense is the critical thing. I would be hesitant to use Marta late at night when there is limited service and limited riders, but for day time visits to visit Olympic Park, Ga Dome, the Aquarium, MLK sites, and Grant Park, you should be be fine.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We were last there in 2000 or 2001. Many sites were unlevel then. The only level ones were in a loop near the office. Hopefully they have fixed a good bit of it by now.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

kellyandpatti
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info and nice pictures

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Drbolasky wrote:
It depends on where the site is within the park. There is a loop of sites that rings the pool and activity areas. We were assigned a site in this loop when we visited SMP back in 2012. The good news there is those sites are fairly level but the bad news connected with those sites is they have little to no shade. Sites that are in the shade along the lake run the gamut from level to off-kilter.

If you have a voltage meter or some other protection device for your RV, use it; the voltage on their electrical service dropped quite low during our visit and there would be some risk of damage to your AC. Otherwise, it is a nice park - very clean and well managed.

There are actually shady sites in that area. Two weeks ago we ended up on site #166. It was very nicely shaded. But, with dual opposing slides for our bunkhouse, it was a snug fit with the deck and electrical box.

We lucked out- just a couple of inches clearance when opening our outdoor kitchen door on one side and the electrical box was literally under the wheel well on the other side.

I didn't look at my EMS or notice any electrical issues.

But, this doesn't help the OP- no idea about the other areas. I did take one picture of the wagon up front that has wood in it for leveling. I have never seen that before.

Here's a photo album of our time at Stone Mountain Park:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougsetzer/sets/72157656051750355
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on where the site is within the park. There is a loop of sites that rings the pool and activity areas. We were assigned a site in this loop when we visited SMP back in 2012. The good news there is those sites are fairly level but the bad news connected with those sites is they have little to no shade. Sites that are in the shade along the lake run the gamut from level to off-kilter.

If you have a voltage meter or some other protection device for your RV, use it; the voltage on their electrical service dropped quite low during our visit and there would be some risk of damage to your AC. Otherwise, it is a nice park - very clean and well managed.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B