cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR: Horton Creek & Volcanic Tablelands (Bishop area)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's our latest blog post -- the photos make it look kind of rugged, but it wasn't. The temps got into the mid-20s at night -- no problem. It was sunny and cool (around 50) every day, so the solar worked like a champ.

The BLM land around Horton Creek, while pretty, was very hard to get into -- the access roads had lots of really big rocks. We had to creep along at five mph, with DW walking alongside to steer me around the bad places. (A TC would be more suitable than our trailer.) The Volcanic Tablelands, by contrast, had lots of really easy dirt roads with lots of places to turn around -- no problem for any sort of RV, even a big Class A or a fifth wheel.

Anyway, here is the post -- feel free to skip the boring text and just skim the photos:

Boondocking in the Eastern Sierra in Midwinter

And this is a "teaser" shot -- this is my favorite picture of the trip, showing the Sierra Crest from our campsite near Horton Creek:

Click For Full-Size Image.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
6 REPLIES 6

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
cbigham, there is a vast network of great 4x4 roads south and east of Crowley Lake -- we barely scratched the surface. Very wild and scenic area.
About our trailer

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hmm, nice enough area had some fun riding it on my xr650r a couple, few years back in fall. I recall going from Glass Creek near Mammoth thru the forest to Sawmill Meadow, down a trail thru some deciduous trees, aspens with fall color, down past some kind of microwave relay station to the road on the west side of Crowley and into your area. Rode down Casa road to Bishop for fuel, food and hwy back to the rv. Nice area, lot of volcanic ash soil.seemed to have lots of nooks to stick a rig in.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
I guess "pleasant" is relative: my relatives think we are crazy to go camping in midwinter!

I was about to describe how I 'dress' in my TC -- but decided to spare you that image.
Cal

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cal, "pleasant" means that we can watch the sunset from inside the trailer, where it is about 50 degrees with no wind, versus 30 degrees outside with a brisk breeze. So if we have to wear warm clothing inside the trailer in order to be comfortable, that's ok! (It beats running the furnace and drawing down the battery. )

I guess "pleasant" is relative: my relatives think we are crazy to go camping in midwinter! ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Another outstanding, beautifully photographed TR (aside from all the boring text).
And
we watched the sun drop behind the Sierra from the comfort of the trailer -- very pleasant!

if it was pleasant, why the hat??
Cal

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Cold and beautiful. Your favorite kind of trip, right? Thanks for sharing.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed