cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Up coming trip to Wyoming

cthatcher
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to Cody,Wyoming. Was looking at campgrounds on the internet. Checking out the list and came upon the Pondarosa campground in Cody. We want full hook up since we will be a month or two. Does anybody have any comments on this campground or a suggestion for one they liked better.
9 REPLIES 9

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
The park in W. Yellowstone hhornig is probably thinking about is Grizzly RV. We stayed there, and it is very nice. However, there were also some other nice ones there. (I would stay away from Pony Express in W. Yellowstone). I agree. I wouldn't use Cody as a base for Yellowstone unless you enjoy long days out from the CG. We stayed in Cody for that area and then transferred to Grizzly for Yellowstone.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

hhornig
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Absaroka also and found it to be a nice park, but if I were spending a lot of time driving into Yellowstone I would stay in West Yellowstone, Wy. There is a nice park there, but I don't remember the name. The drive into the park is fairly short from that side.

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
We just stayed at Absaroka a couple of weeks ago. We couldn't get in to Ponderosa, but it worked out well since Absaroka was cheaper ($30.00 night). We drove thru Ponderosa and felt there really was no reason to pay the extra money. Yes, there were more trees, but all-in-all, we were happy at Absaroka. It's on the edge of town, but as mentioned, Cody is so small, it's no biggie. We loved Cody. Enjoy your time there.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to be there a couple of months, something else you might consider doing is to take a trip to Thermopolis and enjoy the world's biggest hot springs, as least that's what the signs say. They also have some dinosaur digs and a buffalo herd, I think. Nice little town and about 1 to 1 1/4 hour trip from Cody. Also has the Windriver Canyon which has a lot of geological information spread along the canyon walls.
From Cody you can get into Yellowstone two ways, over Sylvan Pass or over the Chief Joseph Byway. The second way takes you down to a junction so you can go over the Beartooth Highway, a beautiful ride. Then you can drop down into Yellowstone and go by the Lamar Valley seeing Buffalo, perhaps wolves and probably bears, as well as Elk, etc. It will be a long trip that way, so get up early and pack a lunch. It will be worth it, especially when you top the pass going down into Yellowstone and see how massive the country is around that part of the world.
John A. Lichty

kodiak_308
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed 7 days at Ponderosa back in 2008. Very well kept, big sites, friendly folks. Lots to do around Cody and of course there is Yellowstone. A very scenic drive from Cody to YP but not one you will want to do every day. On our last day we went over to West Yellowstone and checked out Grizzly RV Park. Also well maintained park but not much other than Yellowstone to see from there. If you're planning on staying put a month or so, the area in and around Cody should give you plenty to do.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at Absaroka Bay RV Park on the edge of town (which isn't that big to begin with). Nice owners, FHU plus laundry facilities, long pull thru sites. BTW, its pronounced "Absorka" and even the owners don't know why.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
A month or two is a long, long time to be in Cody. If you are using Cody as a base to tour Yellowstone, you need to be aware it is 80+ slow going miles just to the intersection of the grand loop road at Fishing Bridge, then you have the mileage inside the park to get to the various areas. Then you have to return. That would amount to 4 plus hours of commuting time every day on top of the time you are going to spend in Yellowstone.

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A great location and very friendly management. Within walking distance of museum.