cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upper Pines Yosemite sat reception and sun for solar?

DAS26miles
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone able to get satellite TV reception and have sun for solar charging of house batteries? I know it's a valley with 3,000 foot cliffs and lots of trees. But I have seen some campers with portable sat dishes and solar panels. Only the first two loops are open currently.
4 REPLIES 4

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Last winter/ spring a couple hundred trees were cut down in Yosemite Valley. Trees killed by or infected with pine beetles.

Some areas of Lower Pines and Upper Pines have no shade/ trees at all when we visited there in April 2017.

I canโ€™t tell you which sites / areas except to say that the satellite photos are from before th cutting. The end of the first loop in Upper Pines lost over half the trees shown on the current Google Maps image.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been there many times -- almost no sun. (Nice and cool, though!)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
No sun. I've seen people park over by the lodge in daytime to tank up on solar. Lots of sun there.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
The campground is under a canopy of very tall trees. Camping there this time of year, you won't get any sunshine worth considering for solar and I've never been able to get TV reception, but I have seen antennas set up at other sites in the campground.