cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utah - Early Planning

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I plan well in advance because many times as part of our two month summer journey we go to high demand places - I make reservations on those well in advance.

OK - set for this year but looking for general info for next year. Going to Utah - no further north that SLC. Going to stay to the west - no Mon Valley to Moab in the summer. We will, of course, will - once again - do Page (az), Kanab, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, etc. But looking for some maybe out of the way places or even popular places but not so well known. Geez, I saw a place in Kamas and the drive up the 150 - from first glance - looked interesting.

I do a lot of photo work so always looking for different things.

We prefer FHU but can live with just W/E for a few days. Clean and all but do not need a ton of amenities - we like to get out and hike or drive Nature.

All input is welcome and much appreciated.

Be safe. God bless.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

19 REPLIES 19

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Heading west in UT means getting away from the crowds. Someone already mentioned Great Basin NP. Nice cave tour there. A drive up to Wheeler CG and trailhead is great on the hottest days of the year, as it is still pleasant up there. There's a hike from the top that takes you through a bristlecone forest. They have markers near some of the trees saying how old they are and what was happening in human history when they started growing. Really interesting. On the way there, if you take UT 21, you'll go by the ghost town of Frisco. Some interesting buildings. Disconnect from the 5'er and explore for an hour or two.

Ely NV sits around 6500' so is cooler than the valley floors. Lots of mining history there, plus the Northern NV RR. Never ridden it though. There are charcoal ovens near Ward. We stay at Cave Lake SP. No hookups, but there are showers and flush toilets and a dump station. Around 7000' elevation so it usually cools off nicely at night.

Of course there's Cathedral Gorge SP, although with all your time in UT, you might get enough of red rock territory.

Back in UT, there are several of really nice scenic drives around mid-state. Nebo Loop is on the backside of Mt. Nebo (surprise!). Alpine Loop is on the backside of Mt. Timpanogos. There's also Skyline Drive that goes along a ridge for quite some distance. None of these are roads to tow on, but nice day trips.

Have you ever spent any time in the western Uintas? Many have seen the eastern end north of Vernal near Flaming Gorge, but the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway is quite gorgeous.

All of these scenic drives have great wildflower displays in mid Summer, elevation dependent.

Maybe stay around Heber rather than dealing with the SLC valley. You can do many of these scenic drives from a central location in the Heber area. You could also take a day trip to Mt. Timpanogos Cave NM, although there's a 1000' climb in 1 1/2 miles on a paved trail to get to the entrance.

Have you investigated Nine Mile Canyon. Lots of petroglyphs and other ancient rock art. Worth a day trip. Do a search on Nine Mile Canyon and restrict your search to PDF files to find several guides to the area.

You do plan in advance. I'm still finishing up our planning and we're leaving in four days!

Have a great trip to Colorado this year.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
re Capitol Reef.......
if you take highway 12 (wonderful scenic route), stop at the Anasazi State Park at Boulder. Nice little museum and displays and a shady picnic table out front for your lunch. Or, there is a little cafe in Boulder.
If it is hot and you want FHU, Thousand Lakes RV at Torrey is a good place.
The campground inside Capitol Reef is really pretty with lots of shade trees, no elec. and the park has kept the old mormon farm orchards, so you might hit it at harvest time.. fruit inside the park is free (donations).
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lauren, is Great Basin National Park too far out of your way? It's almost in western Utah. Very cool, beautiful, and scenic -- I can only imagine what your photos of GBNP would look like.

Here are some amateur photos:

Great Basin blog post
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
OK, I plan well in advance because many times as part of our two month summer journey we go to high demand places - I make reservations on those well in advance.

OK - set for this year but looking for general info for next year. Going to Utah - no further north that SLC. Going to stay to the west - no Mon Valley to Moab in the summer. We will, of course, will - once again - do Page (az), Kanab, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, etc. But looking for some maybe out of the way places or even popular places but not so well known. Geez, I saw a place in Kamas and the drive up the 150 - from first glance - looked interesting.

I do a lot of photo work so always looking for different things.

We prefer FHU but can live with just W/E for a few days. Clean and all but do not need a ton of amenities - we like to get out and hike or drive Nature.

All input is welcome and much appreciated.

Be safe. God bless.

Lone Pine, pine on sandstone hill, Zion Plateau, Zion National Park, Utah - Great Images are possible.

Lake Powell - Provides Great Images - Especially Sunrise and SunSet - the Sandstone, the Water, the Sky...........

Strawberry Reservoir - outside SLC - just many opportunities......

Dinosaur NM, in particular, the Green River and Josie Morris Cabin - ..............

So much to see and do in Utah can't wait to see your Images,

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely not a place to pull your fifth wheel up to from the west, but really worth a day trip and a hike around. We stumbled across it on a nomad trip to escape the heat. About 10,000 feet ASL so don't plan to push yourself hiking, just take your time.
Cedar Breaks
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel