cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wanting to go to Grand Canyon in October

DebP
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone had a favorite Campgrounds by the Grand Canyon. We will be driving a 34ft Class A, dingy towing a jeep Cherokee. We would like full hook ups if possible, but not necessary. Any help sure would be helpful
21 REPLIES 21

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just made reservations yesterday for North Rim for the 2nd week in October. About half the sites were already taken for the exact same dates I was going for. Keep in mind the window for reservations if you're considering the North Rim.

Also made reservations at Trailer Village for the later part of that week and the beginning of the following week. I made those about a month ago, and they had a lot of spots available at that time. Don't know about now.

At least early to mid-October, the shuttle is running. Family members have booked lodging at South Rim, are taking the shuttle around to North Rim, and then hiking down into the canyon for several days before exiting at the South Rim.

Looking forward to it!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stayed at Trailer Village for Memorial Day weekend in 2005. While the sites are a bit close together for my liking, the convenience to the shuttle, not having to drive, and proximity to the canyon made it well worth the space sacrifice. We would go out in the morning, return for lunch, back out for a few hours, back for dinner, back out for sunset. Couldn't have done that staying outside the park, especially with two kids.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You can have snow anywhere at any time. There's no given. We've been to both rims in October in gorgeous weather and we just returned for another visit last week in April - no snow.

Stay at Trailer Village in the park itself for the best overall experience. The free shuttle stops at the entrance. You can walk to the Rim. Being in the park early morning and early evening is awesome when all the day folks and tour buses leave. It's so quiet and the sunsets are beautiful.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
djgarcia wrote:
Personally I like the North side of the Grand Canyon. Less people and congestion. RV park right on the edge and a few close by, check Bauers RV park. Great people and very accommodating.
:h Um, Bauer's is over 100 miles away!

Trailer Village is your best bet for FHU close to the canyon. You can use the shuttle system to get around w/o having to drive and find a place to park. On the south rim with more happening that late in the year. It isn't inconceivable to have snow on the North Rim by mid to late October.

We had snow in trailer village 4/17/15 - October is highly probable for snow
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
Personally I like the North side of the Grand Canyon. Less people and congestion. RV park right on the edge and a few close by, check Bauers RV park. Great people and very accommodating.
:h Um, Bauer's is over 100 miles away!

Trailer Village is your best bet for FHU close to the canyon. You can use the shuttle system to get around w/o having to drive and find a place to park. On the south rim with more happening that late in the year. It isn't inconceivable to have snow on the North Rim by mid to late October.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
October is our favorite time to visit the Grand Canyon. Fewer visitors, cool to perhaps cold weather. Trailer Village RV Campground on the south rim is in the park and has full hookups, the only one in the park that does. It is just a fairly short walk to the canyon rim and it is next to the village containing a store, cafeteria, gift shop and more. I can't remember if the shuttle is still running at that time of the year, check the park's web site to find out. If it is in operation it stops at the campground entrance and takes you to all of the park.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
DebP wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had a favorite Campgrounds by the Grand Canyon. We will be driving a 34ft Class A, dingy towing a jeep Cherokee. We would like full hook ups if possible, but not necessary. Any help sure would be helpful

Be sure and check the weather, it could be snowing:(. Personally I like the North side of the Grand Canyon. Less people and congestion. RV park right on the edge and a few close by, check Bauers RV park. Great people and very accommodating.