cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to Camp in Southwest Ohio

four22
Explorer
Explorer
New campers here... need some suggestions for labor day weekend. I know we're late in the game and lots of places will be booked... We live just north of Cincinnati and looking to stay within 100 miles of home. This will be one of our shakedown trips....

Any suggestions on where to go??

Thanks!!!!
13 REPLIES 13

four22
Explorer
Explorer
agb2529 wrote:
Hueston Woods State Park, just north of Oxford. Beautiful park, lots of activities, and amazingly still has plenty of sites available for Labor Day weekend. We used to stay there when we visited our daughter at Miami University. Highly recommended.

Hueston Woods S.P.

We were there 2 weeks ago for our first trip out. 40 minutes driveway to camp site!!!

Definitely a pretty place and we'll be back for sure

agb2529
Explorer
Explorer
Hueston Woods State Park, just north of Oxford. Beautiful park, lots of activities, and amazingly still has plenty of sites available for Labor Day weekend. We used to stay there when we visited our daughter at Miami University. Highly recommended.

Hueston Woods S.P.
The Long Grove Happy Campers -
Alex & Sandi
2003 Suburban K2500 6.0 L 3.73
2003 Dutchman 19T Sport

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
General Butler or Big Bone Lick in Kentucky or maybe Mount Gilead, Lake Hope, or Hocking Hills in Ohio.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
PaintbCreek state park is a hidden jewel. It is about 50 miles east of Cincinnati off of US50. Beautiful park with large sites in the rolling hills. Nice lake and beach, disc golf course, mini golf, hay rides and good fishing and water sports.
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

Hockeytchr
Explorer
Explorer
If you are into Kayaking or Atv riding.....
Mineral Springs Lake Resort in Peebles Ohio
2015 Keystone Hideout 38fqds
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29mv
2015 Ford F150 XLT Ecoboost Supercrew
2015 Ford F150 XLT Ecoboost Supercab
2005 Club Car
2009 Polaris Ranger Crew
2015 Polaris RZR 900S
1995 17' Gilgetter Pontoon

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always liked the Hocking Hills area just south of Columbus. There are several nice caves to explore like Old Man cave and Ash cave. Cantwell Cliffs and Rock house make nice hikes. That whole area is unique with many other SP's to camp in also.

jmign
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on what you are looking for.

As previously mentioned Olive Branch is nice, full hookups available with a pool on site. This is one of our favorite places to stay. Roads are all gravel is the only downside for us with little ones that like to ride bikes.

Winton Woods has a nice campground if you're more into rving. Site's are pretty close together but they have some full hookups and some just water and electric. Nice playgrounds, right next to the park with a water park, canoe rental etc. Best shower houses, though if you have the full hookups not as important. We stay here fairly frequently. You have to have a reservation pretty far in advance for here typically unless there is a cancellation.

East Fork SP gives you a little more room and is nice enough. They only have a handful of sites that are full hookups so you will most likely be power only here. This is getting closer to camping than just RVing. We enjoy it here all roads are paved, and shower houses are just nice enough to shower in.

There is a couple decent private parks in the Wilmington area. We've stayed at Beechwood Acres there. You are packed in super tight here. Nice place with a pool. Not our favorite due to closeness of spots, but if you're looking for an rv park with a pool you could do worse.

We're east of Cincinnati so tend to stay in that direction.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about southwest, but should be within 100 miles. We stayed in a nice state park just east of Dayton. Buck Creek lake State park has sites with electric with nice separation between sites. There is a small but well stocked store and a separate beach for campers.

chuckg413
Explorer
Explorer
Nice private owned campground is Olive Branch in Warren Co. Just up I-71

four22
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be in a travel trailer. Was looking for at least an electric hookup ๐Ÿ™‚

eieioh
Explorer
Explorer
To get away from SOME of the crowd, try Stonelick SP, or Scioto Trails. To fight the rush... Cowan Lake, East Fork, Rocky Fork will fit the bill. You do not list any equipment, so I assume you are tent camping. With the kids, I suggest these parks since they have good shower houses and all have a lake involved.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Deer Creek SP is SW of Columbus. Nice park on a reservoir, swimming beach is on the other side of the dam from the campground. There is even an inn with a nice restaurant and a golf course.

An interesting side adventure is President Harding's cottage on the lake (a lot different than Eisenhower's camp David)