cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What month to avoid the massive bug hatch??

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
Thinking about a trip to upper Michigan and visiting Mackinaw City area. I've heard they have a profane problem with flies, mosquitos and midges that hatch in or around Memorial Day. Some claim the problem is over in 5 to 10 days after the hatch. Can anyone who lives in the area tell me more about this years bug problem. Would we miss it if we come up around the first week of June or should we try this later in the summer or early Fall
6 REPLIES 6

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up in MI and I don't recall any specific week of a hatch. There were just mosquitos every evening and early morning, unless the breeze was strong enough to keep 'em away. Biting black flies in the UP vary greatly in location and can occur any time during the summer, but if one runs into them one can usually find a fly-free place 10 or 20 miles away. Not familiar with the midges.

Of course, things have changed somewhat in the 3 decades since we moved away from MI (only returning for a week here or there during summer). For one, ticks were never a problem in mid-Michigan where I grew up and I could roam the woods freely without bug spray, but now I guess they're all over the state.

Two years ago in June I was up there vacationing. Skeeters were thicker than jam on toast at Fort Custer State Park, and a little bit pesky at Muskallonge Lake SP, but almost nonexistent at Seven Lakes, Petoskey SP, and Wilderness SP. So it really can be hit or miss IMO.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

FlashBuddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL - I was born in the UP an bugged out. Mom's idea. Now I'm in bug free Fort Collins Colorado. Planning on getting back up there and will shoot for Sept/Oct (thanks @steveh27).
2018 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel Lariat Super Crew 4X4
Grand Design Reflection 295RL
Jan Baby the Wife & Molly the Dog

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I go to the UP in Sept/Oct. Kids are back in school, less crowds and bugs gone.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
February!

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Midges, last about a week or two. Only a problem near the water. By the 2nd week of June, they are gone.
Mosquitoes come and go, we're 30 miles south of the bridge, never used our screen tent.
Flys are mainly in the woods

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Most years - bugs in the northern lattitudes can be bad from mid-May through June and some into July. Mid July and later are generally pretty good for weather and low bug levels.
2014 Allegro 36LA