cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What must we do in Colorado?

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
The mountains are calling and we must go. Last summer, our trip to Yosemite and Oregon was beautifully interrupted by the birth of our first grandson. We're definitely leaving Florida and heading West this summer with our focus on Colorado.

We have done Durango, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde, Littleton, Red Rocks, Ouray, Ridgway into Telluride, Silverton, Grand Lake, and Vail and loved all of it.

This summer, I can see us revisiting Ouray and Last Dollar Road into Telluride just to share that with my son-in-law. We're also both fishing fanatics, so that will be a priority. We live an hour from Disney and five minutes from the World's Most Famous Beach, so we don't like crowds. That said, though I know Estes Park will probably be crowded in July (we stayed on the West side for that reason last time out), we really want to add the East side of RMNP and Crested Butte and any other scenic byways you might recommend. A friend just posted pictures of Loveland Pass, which looks appealing as well.

I'd love any input from you experts (4Runnerguy Ken I hope you're listening)out there not only on destinations, but scenic routes to connect them as well. We'll have our Jeep and my daughter's 4x4 truck, kayaks, bikes and hiking boots. Thanks so much for any advice you can share with us.
2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Motorhome
2003 Jeep Wrangler X Toad
1996 Key West 19CC Sportsman, 115 Yamaha
20 REPLIES 20

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
If you're getting CO fishing licenses, have you thought about boondocking at one or more of the state wildlife areas? Free camping and maybe a short stroll to the water.

If you get around Pagosa Springs, head up the road toward Wolf Creek Pass and stop at Treasure Falls. Then a couple hundred yards north of that, the overlook gives a fabulous view of the valley below. Back south a bit, you can drive past the East Fork NF CG and follow the dirt road with your Jeep to Silver Falls, it's a pretty drive and a nice waterfall. Oh, and near the top of Wolf Creek Pass there's a road to the west that takes you up to the top and another great view all around. You could probably get hookup campsites in Pagosa and lounge in the hot spring waters while there.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
Goducks, we only need two sites a night. My daughter and her husband pull a camper behind their truck. We drag a Wrangler behind our MH.
2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Motorhome
2003 Jeep Wrangler X Toad
1996 Key West 19CC Sportsman, 115 Yamaha

Rug
Explorer II
Explorer II
What about a drive up Pikes Peak.
We did this a couple years ago.
It is paved all the way to the top.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Can you actually book enough spots?

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Royal Gorge, Great sand dunes, Mesa Verde.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œCrowdedโ€ in Estes Park in July is an understatement IMO. Try to make reservations.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad