cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter Camping 2015

coleman26
Explorer
Explorer
I need recommendations for camping out West the last two weeks of December, particularly in Colorado. Any recommendations of areas to camp/visit? I know the camping is limited due to parks closing before December. This will be a family trip with my wife & children. Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to all the mentioned areas - in the right seasons. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think southern Utah in December would even be too cold and you'd still have the possibility of not seeing snow - just wind and cold. Winter driving with an RV in snow country can be dangerous and some areas require you to put on chains on the RV.

I would highly recommend staying at Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood, Arizona. Taking a day trip to nearby Sedona or a little further to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon would almost guarantee you seeing snow but not having to stay in it. In Flagstaff, if there's enough snow there's even a ski hill and you could ride the chairlift to the top (Brrrrr) and nearby is a snowpark for sledding for the kids. I wouldn't advise driving any further north than Cottonwood in winter.

Also, I-40 can be treacherous in winter. We've even encountered it closed because of a blizzard the end of April. Come in via I-10.

If you're driving from the Gulf Coast, two weeks is going to go by fast!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
coleman26 wrote:
Thank you for the recommendations. We are leaning towards Utah based on the replies from you all. My children will be 7 & 5 at the time of this trip. We're not really into the cities or amusement parks so I think Utah will be best. My wife wants to see in her words "real snow" but I think Colorado's "real snow" in December might be a little much for these southerners to experience.

As you plan for Utah, think Southern Utah (South of I-70). Use altitude to help control your weather (lower elevation = not as cold). You may want to pick up a copy of this book.
It does a good job of explaining what to expect during different seasons, outlines some great hikes (many easy and fun for kids), and all the photographs make it a great coffee table book.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
coleman26 wrote:
Thank you for the recommendations. We are leaning towards Utah based on the replies from you all. My children will be 7 & 5 at the time of this trip. We're not really into the cities or amusement parks so I think Utah will be best. My wife wants to see in her words "real snow" but I think Colorado's "real snow" in December might be a little much for these southerners to experience.

Good Choice Tiger Run Winter Photo's

These pictures show why ............

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

coleman26
Explorer
Explorer

Nels_Connie
Explorer
Explorer
Can be a little cool at night, if you have hookups the little ceramic heaters are great. Make sure your tank heaters are working.
Bring a (snow)shovel.

The dogs love it
04 SunSeeker 2890

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
I find winter camping to be a journey that takes a few years to start dialing in. Colorado, I am sure, would be spectacular, but it might be a tough introduction to winter camping if you haven't been at it for awhile.

Since you said "out West", perhaps there are other options that might interest you. I am into hiking/backpacking, boating (canoe/kayak/raft) and skiing/snowshoeing, (not cities) so my opinion might be a bit biased that way, but here are some suggestions that world be a bit milder than Colorado is likely to be:
- S. Arizona and interior S. California (not LA or San Diego)
- Lower elevations in S. Utah (still could be pretty cool).
- SW Nevada; Lake Mead, Valley of Fire, and Death Valley N.P. (this is the best of the best for you IMO)
- S. Sierras; Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite N. Parks (yes, there might be snow, but not the interior cold of Colorado). And if it is snow play you are after, there is a good chance you will find it here.
- N. California and S. Oregon coast; hwy 101 through the Redwoods and small quant coastal towns. (yes, it is likely to be rainy, but it seldom gets very cold) And, should you make it up to Oregon, the State parks are open year round with power (bring an electric heater) at reduced rates.
So those are some more milder climate suggestions that are even further "out West".

Let us know where you wind up and ..... Have Fun.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
In December we're skiing here in Colorado. Even places in UT can be quite cold by that time. For instance we've camped in Moab in late Nov. and late Feb., but between those times, it will be cold. Your rig will have to be winter ready for freezing temps, perhaps days where it stays below freezing all day.

Maybe Zion? Milder climate down there. Or further south. Tucson AZ and Big Bend in TX are much more attractive in late December.

If you really have your heart set on CO, I'd look around the southern Front Range. Maybe Pueblo Reservoir and the like. Or look at just motelling it for this trip. Is your family ready for cold days and nights and very short days at that (the winter solstice is during the last two weeks in Dec.)?
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
Also, make sure you have emergency equipment with you. Certainly enough food and cold weather clothing for several days (we spent 2 nights stranded in our TC on I25 between Las Vegas and Raton one year due to an unexpected, fast moving but severe blizzard. Fortunately, we were better off than those stuck in their cars.) along with chains for your vehicle, folding snow shovel, fully charged phone batteries, and so forth. Google winter emergency supplies for a more complete list.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
coleman26 wrote:
I need recommendations for camping out West the last two weeks of December, particularly in Colorado. Any recommendations of areas to camp/visit? I know the camping is limited due to parks closing before December. This will be a family trip with my wife & children. Thanks in advance.

To answer your specific question about where to camp...

Tiger Run Resort in Breckenridge is open year round. They are not cheap. FHU.

In Rocky Mountain National Park, Moraine Park CG has one loop one year round, but it is going to be subject to access depending on the weather at that particular time. RMNP Camping info
None of the private campgrounds in Estes Park are open beyond October.

Many of the State Parks have a loop(s) that are open year round, particularly at the lower elevations along the Fort Collins to Denver to Colorado Springs to Pueblo megalopolis (the I-25 Corridor) Colorado Parks and Wildlife Camping Info

Some of the private campground/resorts in the same I-25 Corridor may also be open year round, such as the ones mentioned in Golden. RV Park Reviews/Colorado Would be your best resource for finding them.

Great Sand Dunes National Park is open year round, but camping facilities inside the park are not, closing in October. There are, however, some private campgrounds in the area that are open year round. Great Sand Dunes NP area CG

Mesa Verde NP is open year round, but some facilities are not open or available, including Morefield CG. I'm not aware of any of the private CG/Resorts in the Durango/Cortez area that are open, but others here may know of some.

All of the USFS CG will be closed by September/October time frame, at least in the northern Colorado area that I camp in. Likely will hold true for the vast majority of CG throughout the state; could be a few local exceptions.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mueller SP - near Colorado Springs
Ridgway SP
Cheyenne Mountain SP

Check each individual campground website to see what facilities are open during the winter
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say how old the children are but I would think since you live on the Gulf and two weeks isn't very long, what about going to Utah. Its not much warmer than Colorado and you will still see snow but not the sub zero numbers you'll see in Colorado. Utah offers some awesome scenery, eandarly first people ruins, and lots of wonderful camping.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
coleman26 wrote:

I need recommendations for camping out West the last two weeks of December, particularly in Colorado.

Last two weeks in Colorado can be a challenge, but if you must the only spots that might work if the weather is COLD might be Dakota Ridge and Golden just outside of Denver, both are near I-70 and have full hook ups so you have a chance with that. I have spent 3 winters in Golden and one December it was -17 for 10 nights straight โ€“COLDโ€”so we pulled up stakes and headed down I-25 to Arizona and then on to Vegas for Christmas โ€“ Still cold but a lot better. Coming back in January to a nice thaw and more normal Denver weather, so it will depend on your luck.

Any recommendations of areas to camp/visit?

The biggest problem with this time of year is that the Passes are snowed in and in the High country the snow is deep so you canโ€™t hike or explore unless you are on Snow shoes or Skiโ€™s โ€“ so my suggestion is to drive through to Utah โ€“ Moab โ€“ Monument Valley โ€“ Lake Powell โ€“ Zion โ€“ Bryce โ€“ Capital Reef, will be cooler but not snow covered, for us this is what I call Utah time- no crowds โ€“ no shuttles โ€“ no heat, just great time to hike and explore, sometimes being the only person on the trail.

I know the camping is limited due to parks closing before December.

Generally itโ€™s the State Parks and parks in the high country that are closed, but because the traffic is so light it is good to be able to Boondock along the way. Meaning extra GOOD batteries and a generator, stay on the main roads and if you head out to something that might be questionable be sure to let someone know of the schedule and the plans. Last little foot note you will need a weather Radio, just keep your ears open as the weather WILL Change quickly. (once we hiked to the top of a mountain โ€“ Spring โ€“ only to have it start snowing and having to race back down in Heavy Snow then drive for 4 hours to get the 35 miles back home) The weather forecast did not have any snow in it.

This will be a family trip with my wife & children.

Guessing they are โ€œAll Inโ€ as most of the world heads your direction in the winter. Everyone needs to be able to Dress for skiing, COLD, layers and really good Hiking boots. Glenwood Springs has a Great Hot Pool right off I-70 that might be open?

Thanks in advance.

Thoughts โ€“ Colorado is a Summer/Fall state โ€“ if you are not skiing, Winter in the mountains is COLD โ€“ For the Kids - Denver Mint, Football, Amusement Parks, Butterfly Pavilion or some of the great community centers, but if we are in for fun โ€“ head to Utah, you will still likely see a little snow in the high country but you will be able to get out during the day and do things, One year we Hiked to the top of Angels Landing 65-70 in shorts and tโ€™s only to have 6โ€ of the most beautiful snow and a 10 degree night the next day in Bryce, then on to Fruita CG in Capital Reef, -- REALLY THINK ABOUT UTAH โ€“ FUN FUN FUN.

Still even in Utah you better be ready to Boondock as most camping opportunitiesโ€™ are going to be dry.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Weatherbase is a good place to check on weather averages by month along your route. It won't tell you what it will be, but it sure tells you what it has been, by month over the last several years. It defaults to Centigrade, but you can select Fahrenheit.
Its free.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
you really don't want to camp in Colorado in December, but if you insist, camp in one of the larger cities (Pueblo, Colorado Springs, maybe Denver). The weather there will be much milder than in the mountains and you should be able to find a place to camp. Still, be prepared for temperatures from around 20 to well below zero at night. Take trips out of the city, but leave the RV Behind.

The weather can be real variable - if it's bad, see them so sites, otherwise, go skiing.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance