cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone ... Big Rig access

jbstack28
Explorer
Explorer
We are a 40 Foot Fifth wheel towed with a Duelly. So we are not real good backers (LOL). Looking for something with good access if there is such a thing. Not necessary to be in the park but fairly close. Also continuing on to Grand Tetons. So looking there as well. Or can you physically see both from one location? With a long day trip?

Thanks so much.

jbstack28
charlie
18 REPLIES 18

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We like to stay inside Yellowstone. Fishing Bridge RV Campground is the only campground inside the park that has full hookups. Tight spaces, but, at least to us, worth it because of the location. Check their web site and I think you will find they have sites big enough for your rig. We stay at Colter Bay RV Campground in Grand Tetons National Park. Only full hookup campground in the park. Check their web site for size restrictions. Make your reservations as early as possible, even for the dry camping campgrounds.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

padre1944
Explorer
Explorer
West Yellowstone KOA. Not right in town.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Grizzly is probably the best place to stay, but call as soon as you know your dates. This year we didn't get the site we wanted, but one that we fit in anyway (65'). We drive down to the Tetons for the day. You will have no problem navigating the roads to the South Entrance. It will take a couple of hours.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

russkerri
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Yellowstone Grizzly in West Yellowstone, and they had some long 70-80 foot pull-thrus along nice, wide roads. I don't have a 5th wheel, and I think I could almost navigate that park. It is minutes from the park gates and a good location for exploring the west side of the park, as well as a great little town. It's a very nice park.

The Tetons are just south of Yellowstone, and some people do drive down. Depending on where you are camped, it may be a 45 min drive or much more. We stayed in the Tetons in Colter Bay RV, which was a beautiful location. Since our rig is much smaller than yours, I am not sure how well you'd navigate it, but they did seem to have pull-thrus with big rigs. It's a stunning park that definitely deserves its own visit if you can manage. Jackson Hole is about 45 minutes south of the Colter Bay park and is a great day trip. Some people prefer to stay in Jackson and drive up to the Tetons.

Good luck as you plan your trip!
Kerri
RVs with a Jayco 184BH named Birdy
Blogs at Travels with Birdy