Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia “must do” advice sought

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all-
We have 4 days near Yosemite and 4 near Sequoia/Kings from 6/29-7/7.

Just looking for “must do/see” things in and around those areas.

Also, if we want to visit the Pacific, which would you suggest traveling from to do that? Also, where would you suggest staying for a night near the ocean?

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions!
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd
17 REPLIES 17

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The popular places are obvious in both parks. The important thing to do is get off the main trails and find the quiet. Look at some big trees with no one around. Feel the Divinity of the Sierra. It is not to be missed.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Regular here as my handle suggest.

A must, often bypassed because of the scary road, is Toulumne Meadows. But everywhere out there is breathtakingly beautiful.

And so is Sequoia/Kings Canyon as well. Yes, @JAC is right, roads are very tight. Not sure the last years, but they even allow camping anywhere.

California coasts are a bit crowded this time of the year but very lovely. Campsites in state or county parks are difficult to get. If you have the time, go as far North as possible. The farther you go up, the more beautiful, and less crowded, it becomes specially if you are taking Highway 1 or Pacific Coast Highway.

It's a 3-hour drive to Pacific Coast. Highway 120, with if I recall correctly have more than 100 hairpin curves, is more challenging than the Fresno route.

Happy trails and safe travel.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure others will give you good advice on what to do and see in Yosemite/Sequoia. I've only done day trips to Yosemite a few years ago, and it's been a long time for Sequoia other than a day trip about 7 years ago to Grant Grove. I grew up camping in these areas though as I'm from Visalia originally.

The other thing I would check is make sure your length isn't too long for Sequoia/Kings. Many of the roads there have pretty strict length restrictions.

But if you want to go to the beach, you're closer to it from Sequoia/Kings than Yosemite. But be aware that it's still about a 3 hour drive. There are RV parks all along the coast in and around Pismo (Cambria, Cayucos, Morro Bay, Avila etc) but I'd guess they get filled up pretty fast.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor