Explorer
Recapture Pocket near Bluff Utah

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
PAThwacker, good lookโ€™n camp site!
Thanks!

Old logging landing site turned into State Permitted Boondocking site. 12 foot pup, 19.6 feet OVA, and keeping cool without AC in direct sunlight. Closest experience to western US boondocking on the eastern border of PA.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker, good lookโ€™n camp site!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Pennsylvania State Forest 30 nights free Boondocking per year.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Great spot Sawtooth63!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Sawtooth63
Explorer
Explorer
Here's our latest weekend out in early September. What a great time of year to be out in the central Colorado boonies!

2007 Toyota Tacoma
2017 Starcraft AR-One Extreme 18QB
Good Sam RV Club Member

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine, I'm stumped -- where are the signs and the picnic tables? You must have sharper eyes than I do!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice photos, but if there are signs and a picnic table you are not in the boondocks yet.

JimHanus
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
We spend or at least use to, three(3) weeks every year....boondocking and elk hunting. Hope to start spending more time out!
Solar is great, but in the fall/winter, with cold weather, short days, and long (cold) nights....you would need quite a system.
We have six (6) panels and six (6) batteries.....and still have to use the generator a bit. Though, weโ€™re pretty wasteful. We probably average 3 hours television/day, plus the furnace runs a lot when the temps are in single digits. But....thatโ€™s winter camping!

My Jeep couldn't even move all those batteries!

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
JimHanus wrote:
steveh27 wrote:
I also boondock in the Pigeon River Country State Forest. I do it in early October and have seen 2 big bull elk and hear them bugling.

Where do you set up camp? Do you hunt?

I've tried grouse hunting there, but never saw nor heard one. I'm keeping my exact spot secret to not have it taken when I go. There are many spots to camp.

Steve, The joke around here is, โ€œ I wonโ€™t ask you were you hunt.....but weโ€™re do you park your truckโ€? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We spend or at least use to, three(3) weeks every year....boondocking and elk hunting. Hope to start spending more time out!
Solar is great, but in the fall/winter, with cold weather, short days, and long (cold) nights....you would need quite a system.
We have six (6) panels and six (6) batteries.....and still have to use the generator a bit. Though, weโ€™re pretty wasteful. We probably average 3 hours television/day, plus the furnace runs a lot when the temps are in single digits. But....thatโ€™s winter camping!

Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

JimHanus
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
JimHanus wrote:
steveh27 wrote:
I also boondock in the Pigeon River Country State Forest. I do it in early October and have seen 2 big bull elk and hear them bugling.

I've tried grouse hunting there, but never saw nor heard one. I'm keeping my exact spot secret to not have it taken when I go. There are many spots to camp.

I grouse hunt, no deer. I've been camping there (mostly boondocking)for over 50 years. Maybe we'll cross paths this October. Here's my website for the area: Pigeon River Country by Jim Hanus

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
JimHanus wrote:
steveh27 wrote:

JimHanus
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:

JimHanus
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Jim, how do you get ten days out of the batteries --do you have solar??

Have been looking at solar for years but can't afford it. We do a lot of little things to make the batteries last. We didn't have a generator at first, so we had to learn how to milk the batteries. I have 2 separate batteries, both Lifeline AGM group 31 which are a bit expensive (around $350 each), but work great. I don't baby them, (leave them in the trailer year round) through Michigan winters. I've had one for 9 years and one for 7 years without any hint of failure. Replaced the 9 year one last year as I was starting to get a little worried it would quit on me some day. Still use it in the garage as it holds a charge almost forever. They go through a 3 way switch so I can run each separate. I use one until it's down to about 75% then switch to the other battery. That way if I drain one accidentally I still have a backup. The Lifelines can be run down to zero without damage (I've done it accidentally several times) but I wouldn't recommend it as I'm sure it shortens the battery life. When I charge them I do each separately also.
I also use an ammeter in line so I can monitor current draw (biggest draw is the furnace at about 7 amps). I've replaced all the bulbs with LED's. The standard bulbs can draw an amp or more per bulb, whereas the LED's are about 1/10 of that.
We make a point of minimizing battery use by using a propane lantern outside at night, and have flashlights for inside the trailer. Also have a Coleman coffee maker that works on the propane stove. I'm not saying my way will work for everyone, but it works for us.
The ammeter is a zero center (I've replaced it with a 30A version) so I can see charge or discharge. I installed a digital volt meter that can show me the state of charge also.