cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1969 Hi Lo Bon Voyage 209 overhaul

guitarman023
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to start my build thread. Here's some pics of the camper as I picked it up today.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

70 REPLIES 70

guitarman023
Explorer
Explorer
With the recommendations of members on this forum, I was able to put an elastomeric roof coating on the roof. Tested tonight, no leaks yet!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

guitarman023
Explorer
Explorer
Got some more done on the exterior paint.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing! You did an excellent job!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice work!!! Thanks for sharing.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

guitarman023
Explorer
Explorer
Finished the curbside, and re-installed the rock guard. Taking it camping this weekend.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Super Nice! Excellent choice of color - vintage to go with the style.

guitarman023
Explorer
Explorer
Started doing some painting, tried to get more done today, but it looks like it could rain any minute. I'm VERY happy with my color choices.

I also dressed up the ugly old rock shield for the front window

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know. Thanks!

guitarman023
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Great work! Is there a sealer or polish to put on the metal to keep it from getting dull?

The compound I use has carnuba wax that holds the abrasives, it lasts quite awhile. A coat or wax a few times a year or just re polishing once a year works pretty well. I use the same thing on the wheels of my truck and only have to do it once a year.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Great work! Is there a sealer or polish to put on the metal to keep it from getting dull?

guitarman023
Explorer
Explorer
Made some progress waterproofing and cleaning up windows. I polished until my fingers fell off.
Found some of the original paint under the eaves.

What most of the windows looked like this morning

Here's the after of one window

And here's the side of the camper I finished today. Just need to put caulk around all the seams

I also waterproofed and polished up the roof vent

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Great pics and glad to hear you had a great time. I love the sound of rain on the top of the camper. One of the best things about being out there and like you said, no getting wet. We too have done the rain and tent thing and always had something wick the rain in.

PortWentworthSa
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like you had a blast. What more do you really need in order to have a good time....Oh yeah, that first aid kit.

You should be proud of what you accompolished with that camper in such a short time. It's amazing to see the change.

Now that you have had a taste of camping with a water proof roof over your head there will be no stopping you. It becomes an adiction.

GREAT JOB!!