cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

?? about fuel tap in on class c chassis

74discoverer25
Explorer
Explorer
i didnt know if i should pose this question here or in tech forum. i am trying to make a decision on cutaway chassis for a project im doing. while i would like to get best mpg, my biggest need is to have extended driving range. i would like to give a promaster a chance, it has some real plusses for me, plus should get 2-4 better mpg, the problem? it only has 24 gallon fuel tank, i can get 55 on ford and 57 on chevy. they all come with a fuel tap for generator, is it possible, instead of sucking fuel out, could i mount aux. gas tank in promasters wide open frame, and pump gas from aux. tank to main fuel tank? any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

*on edit, i read online for about two hours, i think i figured it out. i was afraid the line was pressurized, but that would make no sense, its main purpose is for motorhome use, so you would have to have key on for fuel pump to work, so it has to be a simple pickup tube that reaches down as far as 1/4 tank so your generator cant run you out of gas. reading alot about gravity transfer i did figure out would be best to install check valve, if not and you ran aux. tank empty, and main tank below the pickup tube it would vent and cause check engine light to come on, of course with that much fuel i doubt i would run it that low. still would appreciate any thoughts or comments.
steve t.
74 discoverer 25'
p-30 454
sydney the half blue heeler
2 REPLIES 2

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to read this- http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2014/van/docs/vf/drec.pdf- it says there is an aux fuel tap on the tank- and cautions about modifying the system.
I doubt it will take some aftermarket company , like Transfer Flow long to do a system that would be bolt on, and not void the warranty.
-- Chris Bryant

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
While I understand the concept of driving range, I suspect in most instances the need is way over-rated.

A gas pump only pumps 'X' gallons per minute. So in theory it takes the same amount of time to pump 24 gallons twice as it does to pump 48 gallons. Yes, there is the getting off the highway, up to the pump, etc., but in a long day of driving I can't see an extra 5 minutes being too important.