cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Bank - wire for 12v, 24v, or 48v?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I have four 12v 100Ah Battle Born lithium drop-ins. I'm looking towards the future using Victron components:
- 3,000W inverter w/ hybrid load-support
- solar charging

Currently I have a built-in generator for charging batteries.

If I went with 24v or 48v, I'd need a DC-to-DC converter to step down to 12v to run the existing RV systems (slides, lights, thermostat, fans, etc.).

So, what would you go with? 12v, 24v, or 48v? And why?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
22 REPLIES 22

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
phemens wrote:
I just did a battery revamp and added 4 lithium batteries, stayed with 12v setup due to pre-existing 12v inverter charger. Very happy with it, They donโ€™t sweat high draw loads, but iโ€™m finding that my Victron 702 is not an accurate indicator of charge. I think it calculates it based on amps out but doesnโ€™t seem to jive with the readings I see on each of the batteries via their BMS panel. Some tweaking to do there. Agree that amps in and out will be the main indicator, but not sure yet how to accurately show that via the 702.

I would trust the Victron, which uses a precision shunt versus the on-board BMS, which *maybe* is using a hall effect sensor but more likely is guesstimating based on cell voltage.

I can't find anyone on youtube that cut one of these batteries open yet to take apart the BMS. All the recommended videos seem like commercials to me.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
I just did a battery revamp and added 4 lithium batteries, stayed with 12v setup due to pre-existing 12v inverter charger. Very happy with it, They donโ€™t sweat high draw loads, but iโ€™m finding that my Victron 702 is not an accurate indicator of charge. I think it calculates it based on amps out but doesnโ€™t seem to jive with the readings I see on each of the batteries via their BMS panel. Some tweaking to do there. Agree that amps in and out will be the main indicator, but not sure yet how to accurately show that via the 702.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great project!

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Counting amps out vs amps in is even more important, IMHO.

I have a Victron BMV-702 for that. I think I'll also get the Victron Color Control system once we do this upgrade.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
48 volt. The higher the voltage the better. It will give the most margin between "full" and "empty".

With the lithium batteries, does that reasoning still stand? The drop-off for lithium is sharp with very little in the middle of charged vs. not.

Yes, applicable to any technology. On lithium you can't rely on voltage as an accurate state of charge indication, because of that flat discharge line. However having more margin is still a positive.

Counting amps out vs amps in is even more important, IMHO.

---

Higher voltage also lends itself to more efficient conversion inside the inverter. Instead of having to amplify a 12v source with a gain of 10x to get 120v output, a 48v source only needs to be amplified 2.5x (this is over simplified but works as a demonstration). The amplification (boost) causes heat in the inverters's transformer and switches (transistors). The less work they have to do, the less heat they generate.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
48 volt. The higher the voltage the better. It will give the most margin between "full" and "empty".

With the lithium batteries, does that reasoning still stand? The drop-off for lithium is sharp with very little in the middle of charged vs. not.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
48 volt. The higher the voltage the better. It will give the most margin between "full" and "empty". It also greatly reduces cable complexity and voltage drop losses.

A DC-DC converter is super easy, get one with a read-out on it so you can dial in a nice stable 13.5 volt output and leave it.

Something like this unit:

DROK

Install it in your distribution panel, rip out the old 12v converter.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there any loss in stepping down? Becomes important when you go solar.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad