Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cellular Amplifier & Antennae

johninedmonton
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys and gals;

I'm looking at cellular amplifiers, and the installation process. Specifically, I want reliable and fast LTE internet so that we can home-school/cyber-school our kids on the road.

I think I've identified the amplifier I want:

http://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wilson-dt4g-dt-4g-desktop-amplifier-kit-4g-lte-aws-3g-2g-all-us-carriers-460101

Now for the installation. I'm no electrician. Far from it. So this is uncharted territory for me! Any suggestions?

Also, I'd like to create some sort of a telescoping pole for the antenna. I've heard that you get a much clearer signal if you can get the antenna up high. The higher the better. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to create a telescoping antenna?

And finally, do you have any experience with cellular amplifiers?
John From Alberta, Canada

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0L Diesel
Andersen WD Hitch
2013 Sport Trek 320VIK

Life is a story. I plan to make mine worth telling.
27 REPLIES 27

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use our secure Verizon MIFI 2200 sitting in a WILSON SLEEK CRADLE with external passive antenna setup and it works like gang busters for us. We can use this with 5 WIFI enabled devices inside and outside our trailer setup.

The problem is all of the carriers have different takes on the GB data plans. We get by just fine with our 3GB DATAPLAN but it is just two of us checking emails, paying some bills, chatting with family etc. With the kids you would want a minimum of 20GBs I would think. Then who knows how much GBs you will need if you start downstreaming things... ALot of folks really liked the now defunct Millennium setups... The VERIZON carrier is the best for all over the US and you hear alot of folks still using the VERIZON JET PACK plans.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I use an extendable paint roller pole for my cellular antenna mast and I use a wilson directional antenna with it.

WilsonAmp
Explorer
Explorer
hey, if you want to find out which version will suit best goto http://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/help-me-decide/ or call our Houston Based customer service team.

Thanks

johninedmonton wrote:
moreroad wrote:
I believe, after reading the posts, that I can jump in here with a question about Wilson's kits.

I am looking at the 460102-t kit to improve my 1 bar cell reception while on the road and in camp. They tell me "The coverage area is from the inside antenna, not the amplifier. This unit can typically rebroadcast the boosted signal between 2 and 5 feet from the antenna. This distance is dependent on the existing signal outside.
"

They also say they have nothing to offer to extend that distance.

So I have me, my son and wife who all have to put their heads around the antenna to use the kit? Sometimes we work online for 6 hours at a time and I believe we are going to get tired of each other faster then being on the road together for 3 weeks does.

Anyways am I missing something here besides knowledge?

You may want to try a different kit. I have the 460101, and I get good coverage throughout my entire TT.

WilsonAmp
Explorer
Explorer
Hey! My name is James, I work for Wilsonamplifiers.com. We have cell phone signal boosters for any situation. If you need any help, just email me at james@wilsonamplifiers.com. I'd be glad to help.

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Trucker's version works excellently for us .. here at our home base things have changed and without the Wilson Booster, we would be tearing our hair out !

Worth every penny! Thank you folks for your words and sharing .. Shalom.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

johninedmonton
Explorer
Explorer
moreroad wrote:
I believe, after reading the posts, that I can jump in here with a question about Wilson's kits.

I am looking at the 460102-t kit to improve my 1 bar cell reception while on the road and in camp. They tell me "The coverage area is from the inside antenna, not the amplifier. This unit can typically rebroadcast the boosted signal between 2 and 5 feet from the antenna. This distance is dependent on the existing signal outside.
"

So I have me, my son and wife who all have to put their heads around the antenna to use the kit? Sometimes we work online for 6 hours at a time and I believe we are going to get tired of each other faster then being on the road together for 3 weeks does.

You may want to try a different kit. I have the 460101, and I get good coverage throughout my entire TT.

Andersen WD Hitch
2013 Sport Trek 320VIK

moreroad
Explorer
Explorer

"

The Charters Family
Me my Wife and now one kid (unless he brings a friend) and 2 dogs,
2004 Southwind 32VS
2009 Jeep Wrangler (TOAD)
MorePro Marketing Inc

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the wilson with the candy bar antenna and it doesnt realy pick up well in the TT. I put the wilson trucker antenna up on the bat wing. In looking at it again, for inside the TT which is different than the TV, I would buy the booster that they make for the house as it would pick up the signal better. Ill be selling my wilson amp on ebay as they told me it would work with another antenna other than the candybar.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
The Flag Pole Buddy mount makes a very easy to use setup. Rotate the pole to aim the antenna. Some tape can snug up the pole if it does rotate in the wind. There are phone apps that will locate cell towers to help aim the antenna.

The kit you are looking at is NOT designed for mobile use - ie in motion.
1. It will overload when near a cell tower.
2. You are looking at a directional antenna.

But using a second non directional antenna for mobile use will mostly work until you get to close to a tower. And you might find that it will often work when you park so that the directional antenna is not needed and hence no antenna setup. Given what you have posted about your requirements I'd have both antennas.

Have you asked Wilson about a higher gain yagi (directional) type antenna?

Make sure you pay close attention to the directions for the antennae, things like spacing between it and the internal antennae and that if directional do not point it towards the internal antennae. I use the trucker Omni directional mounted to the ladder with the amp on the inside of the rear wall. Looking at getting a second antennae that I can put on a pole to get it up so more in real bad areas.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

johninedmonton
Explorer
Explorer
So I had the Wilson Amplifier out this past weekend. I saw a significant increase in signal strength, and much better reception.
Without the system turned on I was lucky to get 3G signal, and a weak signal at that. With it turned on I got strong 3G, and even weak LTE at times. I was able to run netflix on my ipad, and speed tests came in at reasonable speeds.

A WIN!

Andersen WD Hitch
2013 Sport Trek 320VIK

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
We ordered the Wilson 3G Kit for Vehicle (#801212), and will be picking it up tomorrow. Have the flag bracket for the painter's pole, extra RG 58U low loss foam coax cable, as well as a dual band mirror mount trucker's antenna .. will be mounting the antenna per "crcr" posting on 4/25 albeit with only the painter's pole (no add'tl heightening).

Hubby will be working on it tomorrow .. will let you when we get it all together and hoping it works well .. we are at Umpqua Lighthouse Campground near Reedsport, Oregon.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
johninedmonton wrote:
Sturgeon-Phish wrote:
What if you attached the booster antenna to the TV antenna? In the full up position you are at 16' I'd say.

Interesting idea. Ill look into it. I am thinking of putting it on a pole attached to the ladder at the back of the trailer. The satellite hookup is right there. I'm thinking of hooking up the antenna to that port. Inside I'll hook up the amplifier to the satellite port behind the tv, power it, and run the antenna from the mantle next to it.

I think it'll work! Holy crap!

Using the satellite connection, expect some signal loss from the cable impedance mismatch. Satellite uses 75 ohm cable, but the cell antenna uses 50 ohm cable.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

johninedmonton
Explorer
Explorer
Sturgeon-Phish wrote:
What if you attached the booster antenna to the TV antenna? In the full up position you are at 16' I'd say.

Interesting idea. Ill look into it. I am thinking of putting it on a pole attached to the ladder at the back of the trailer. The satellite hookup is right there. I'm thinking of hooking up the antenna to that port. Inside I'll hook up the amplifier to the satellite port behind the tv, power it, and run the antenna from the mantle next to it.

I think it'll work! Holy crap!

Andersen WD Hitch
2013 Sport Trek 320VIK

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
Also, several have commented about the Wilso Sleek; I looked and there are several models. Which one do you guys use?
Thanks
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel