Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cellular Amplifier & Antennae

johninedmonton
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys and gals;

I'm looking at cellular amplifiers, and the installation process. Specifically, I want reliable and fast LTE internet so that we can home-school/cyber-school our kids on the road.

I think I've identified the amplifier I want:

http://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wilson-dt4g-dt-4g-desktop-amplifier-kit-4g-lte-aws-3g-2g-all-us-carriers-460101

Now for the installation. I'm no electrician. Far from it. So this is uncharted territory for me! Any suggestions?

Also, I'd like to create some sort of a telescoping pole for the antenna. I've heard that you get a much clearer signal if you can get the antenna up high. The higher the better. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to create a telescoping antenna?

And finally, do you have any experience with cellular amplifiers?
John From Alberta, Canada

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0L Diesel
Andersen WD Hitch
2013 Sport Trek 320VIK

Life is a story. I plan to make mine worth telling.
27 REPLIES 27

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
What if you attached the booster antenna to the TV antenna? In the full up position you are at 16' I'd say.
We are currently looking for a booster for camp. Sent a question to Wilson for suggestions. Don't want to spend a fortune on it. Around $150. Is that reasonable?
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

johninedmonton
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler;

We will be stationary when using this system, so I don't need a mobile option on this particular one. I'm considering installing a mobile option in my SUV, but my wife says that's overkill.

So I'm going to sneak one into the truck. It'll be the new system from WIlson, which isn't for sale yet. So I have to be patient...

Wilson 2014 Vehicle LTE amplifier

I'm ok with a directional antennae for the trailer. Yes, there apps I can use. But there's also the good old-fashioned "point and try" option. I'll use a combination of both, I suspect.

Wilson doesn't have a high yield omni-directional antennae that support LTE anyways, so I'm stuck with directional and yagi options. But I'll survive. I don't think I'll be needing it at every campsite, and therefore it won't be a big issue for us to stretch it up and point it.

I'm excited about the FlagPoleBuddy; it looks like a brilliant idea, albeit a lousy marketing job. LOL

Once I've run the pole and cables, I can start using the system and test it out. If I have to upgrade to a stronger antenna, it should be a relatively easy modification. Since these amplifiers all come in kits, I have to pay for the included antenna anyways. I may as well try it out before spending the money on a 2nd antenna.

Andersen WD Hitch
2013 Sport Trek 320VIK

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Flag Pole Buddy mount makes a very easy to use setup. Rotate the pole to aim the antenna. Some tape can snug up the pole if it does rotate in the wind. There are phone apps that will locate cell towers to help aim the antenna.

The kit you are looking at is NOT designed for mobile use - ie in motion.
1. It will overload when near a cell tower.
2. You are looking at a directional antenna.

But using a second non directional antenna for mobile use will mostly work until you get to close to a tower. And you might find that it will often work when you park so that the directional antenna is not needed and hence no antenna setup. Given what you have posted about your requirements I'd have both antennas.

Have you asked Wilson about a higher gain yagi (directional) type antenna?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
As far as a pole, this telescoping handle from Lowe's works well. Goes from 4' to 12':

http://www.lowes.com/pd_102924-1003-PO15_4294610211__?productId=1000891&Ntt=aqua+ez&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Daqua%2Bez&facetInfo=

This one goes to 16' long, but is 8' long collapsed:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_112887-1003-PO16_4294610211__?productId=3009169&Ntt=aqua+ez&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Daqua%2Bez&facetInfo=
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

johninedmonton
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I will definitely check out the flag poles. It sounds smarter than my jerry-rigged half-brained schematics that were brewing in my head.

I'll be using a mifi type router/hotspot for most of our needs, so the interior range isn't a big issue for me.

The system I quoted below handles all current LTE frequencies.

I looked at omnidirectional antennas, but it's hard to find one that supports LTE and also gives good gain. While a directional antenna isn't ideal, screwing around with it every week or so doesn't sound like fun, it is the best gain option.

I obviously won't be using it while mobile, so that's less of an issue. And I won't even be powering it on unless the radiant signals are too weak.

Yes there will be radiation, but that's almost impossible to escape these days. So it's not a consideration for me.

Andersen WD Hitch
2013 Sport Trek 320VIK

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
johninedmonton wrote:
Hi guys and gals;

I'm looking at cellular amplifiers, and the installation process. Specifically, I want reliable and fast LTE internet so that we can home-school/cyber-school our kids on the road.

I think I've identified the amplifier I want:

http://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wilson-dt4g-dt-4g-desktop-amplifier-kit-4g-lte-aws-3g-2g-all-us-carriers-460101

Now for the installation. I'm no electrician. Far from it. So this is uncharted territory for me! Any suggestions?

Also, I'd like to create some sort of a telescoping pole for the antenna. I've heard that you get a much clearer signal if you can get the antenna up high. The higher the better. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to create a telescoping antenna?

And finally, do you have any experience with cellular amplifiers?

Mount it to a telescoping flag pole.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi John,

Make sure the booster is compatible with the LTE service.

Do you wish to be able to have in motion wobbly wide web? If so a more permanent antenna mount may be desirable.

Do you plan on using a data stick? That technology is becoming obsolete quite quickly with folks having hot spots on their phones.

Unfortunately phones no longer have antenna ports, so you will be bathing your family in radio waves with any booster intended for use with a cell phone.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW Our Wilson amp operates both of our phones to at least 30' including outside and our MiFi which gives us WiFi internet access for laptops and wireless printer. Perhaps with home school you would want some flexibility to move around which is why I brought up the indoor antenna capability consideration.

Perhaps my setup worked at 15', actually even less, is likely because my indoor antenna is also a directional panel antenna pointed forward.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice kit. I'm assuming that you stop for periods of time so that aiming the outside antenna is not a problem? You might need longer coax in order to raise the antenna. One pole arrangement that might work well is the Flag Pole Buddy, but there are plenty of poles available. Check HD paint department for example.

Talk to Wilson re:
1. Is there a higher gain outside yagi antenna that is better suited for you.
2. The inside antenna range sounds limited, does it meet your needs and if not what are the options.

Electrical installation is trivial, mechanical may not be so easy. I would never route a wire through a slide gasket because it might leak and I detest seeing wires. Instead drill a hole in the roof, plug it as best you can and then use adequate Dicor - it will never leak. If you are going to raise the antenna then be sure that in all locations you meet the minimum spacing requirements.

I've used my 3G Wilson setup in 2 rigs. Last installation was involved. WD had to be removed to route outside antenna wire. Amp under the bed and hard to see the lights. Route AC wire from bathroom with a switch in the bathroom, there are other outlets but not easy to turn on/off while boondocking and also not on the inverter. You might not have these concerns or use an extension cord.

My antenna is on a back corner roof. The inside antenna points forward and is 20' away. I did pretest the locations and even 15' separation worked OK.

If yours is like mine then it's not for mobile applications and the amp will overload when near a tower, no problem when you are parked near a tower as you won't need the amp anyway.

Bob

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a plan, and as mentioned do plan on 20' minimum vertical separation. Love ours.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
You need to make sure you have the required distance between the antenna and the amplifier/transmitter module - 2o feet according to the installation manual. I would call customer service and speak with them. They have been very helpful to me in the past.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

johninedmonton
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Don. I hadn't thought about feeding it through the pass-through openings. That may be very convenient!

A lot of our camping is in Canada, where we don't have the level of coverage that you do. 1 bar, maybe 2 if I'm lucky. And that's not too far off from the major centres. So I want to amplify to maybe get the signal that's close but not quite serviceable yet.

I've used them in trucks before, and they work great. But I've never used them in an RV before.

Andersen WD Hitch
2013 Sport Trek 320VIK

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clicky

I have had an amplifier in the fiver for the past three years. To attach the magnetic mount antenna, i simply glued down a piece of painted steel using lots of Dicor to the roof. When i am setting up, i clumb the ladder, drop the antenna on the plate, and feed the wire thru the slide out bulb seal then complete opening the slides. Mine is totally wireless, in other words there is an inside antenna and an outside antenna. It comes with a power supply so all i need to do is plug it in to 120VAC and turn it on. Generally you will not need amplification if you are close to major cities or along major highways. The times I need it is when we are hosting several miles off the highway or in very remote far west locations. Then i am lucky to get 1G service early in the morning. The closest towers are miles away with lots of mountains in the way. And nothing
Will help in those situations.