cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cup holder for couch?

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
I keep thinking of ways to hold a drink for my couch. I have contemplated adding a marine drink holder attached to the wall above the arm of the couch. I have looked at bean bag drink holders. I have looked at the kind that drape over the arm of the couch.

What solutions have you all tried that you liked?
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali
18 REPLIES 18

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
They seem very strong to me. Comes with four screws to attach it but I just didn't want to put that many holes in the side and that's why I also used the 3M double sided tape with two scres on the top. I'm very pleased and it has been used with coffee cups to adult beverage bottles. The adjustable aspect is great.

The holders appear well built. Got em from Amazon.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks dwayneb236. That's what I was thinking of trying too. I wasn't sure how strong the holders were.
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
I used two of these on either side of the sofa. Mounted with a bit of double sided tape and a couple of screws. Very secure and work great. Adjustable too..

Here's one mounted and folded up. Very small profile. You can see it in top right of pic.

Found a pic of the other side in use..
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Disneyfix, several of us have posted lots of pix as we worked on various projects. New or improved furniture, lighting, decoration. If you have any ideas, let us know, someone has probably done it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Disneyfix
Explorer
Explorer
Can you guys post pics of your inventions? Please.

gloriebkj
Explorer
Explorer
Here is our solution...
gloriebkj

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
kohai wrote:
NascarBobnBeth wrote:
i have a marine style cup holder on the wall next to the couch

How do you attach it to the wall? They are thin and no substance really.

I haven't done a cup holder, but I did attach towel bars to my RV walls as described below and so far it seems to be working A-OK.

I made some backing plates out of thin (1/4" or 5mm) plywood that were about a half inch larger than the "foot" of the towel bar support all the way around. I painted them white and eased the front edges a bit for appearance's sake, though that's not essential; they look kind of like blank switch plates. I drilled holes in these in the appropriate spacing, then glued them up to the wall where I wanted the towel bar, and once the glue had set drilled through the wall venire as well. Then I simply mounted the towel bars using the typical hammered in expanding plastic anchors.

The thickness of the plates, when added to the wall thickness, gives enough for the anchors to properly grip, and the plates spread out the load a bit to prevent the foot of the towel bar from puncturing the wall. The glue is mainly just to keep things in place while assembling the rest of the parts; it doesn't serve much of a support function once things are put together. Hence, it's not necessary to use especially strong glue or to scrape off any wallpaper sort of covering, etc.

gloriebkj
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT--- will take pictures tomorrow and post them.
gloriebkj

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
gloriebkj, I would love to see the pics. My jackknife sofa doesn't have arms and I have been trying to come up with something to use at end on the raised floor part of the slide. Your idea might work to put by my sofa.. I like the idea of folding out of way when not needed.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

gloriebkj
Explorer
Explorer
I made two arm 'tables' that fold down and sit on the top of the couch arms. Used nice plywood, finished edges, stained to match woodwork. Mounted them with piano hinges. They fold down when needed and back up out of the way when not. They are about 5X8 inches. Will see if hubby can post pictures if anyone is interested.
gloriebkj

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
If You really want to "Stick " things to an RV Wall I recommend using Shoe Goo! which is a type of GOOP that sticks everything to everything! You can use a small wood screw to hold the item in place while the Goo! Cures! Clean the Surfaces to be stuck together with a little Alcohol...Cheap Vodka works well as it contains no Oil and You can always sip on any that doesn't get used for cleaning!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
NascarBobnBeth wrote:
i have a marine style cup holder on the wall next to the couch

How do you attach it to the wall? They are thin and no substance really.
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Your best option is:

I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

David_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've been qlooking for the same and decided to try a marine style cupholder. I found one on amazon but have not installed it yet. Will let you know.
2007 BT Cruiser 5231
2002 Heritage Softail Classic