cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dining Table wobble solution

therink
Explorer
Explorer
The 2 pedestal dining table in my new Keystone 340fbh wobbles to the point that eating a meal on it is a disaster waiting to happen. I have thought about fabricating dimensional lumber and some sort of latching devices to secure the table to the wall below the picture window. Whatever I do, I want to design something that secures the table to the wall with something I can unlatch versus removing screws. There is about a 5" drop between the inside bottom edge of the table and the wall (bottom of Window frame). In one of my previous rigs, the bottom edge of the Window was above the table so I was able to secure the table to the wall with common Window locks.
I am wondering what others have done to stabilize the table.
Thanks, Steve
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.
28 REPLIES 28

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
I've read through all the suggestions - because have same problem, this is how these tables are designed - and it looks like important detail was overlooked. His window goes 5" BELOW the table bottom. The suggestion with piece of wood under the window might work. You can then bolt another piece of wood vertically on that board, so that it would reach the table, or come up with some Z-brackets. I'm only afraid that the other end will still wobble a little, because it is only supported in the middle. Don't know what to do with this other end.

What you are suggesting is exactly what I planned. Today I purchased a pair of compression type window locks and plan on using wood blocks on the wall and wood blocks on table underside. I will install the locks where the blocks meet to secure the table. I believe this will stabilize at least the wall side of the table, which is better than without. The locks/latches will may make it easier than removing screws to lower the table. Thanks
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Paul - I was thinking along the same lines, but was afraid to suggest. The design with 2 pedestals is inherently bad. Table needs 4 points of support. Folding table, even not rock-solid, might be better than the current one. But... 2 folding legs on the "entry" end of the table necessitates (gasp) removal of the benches and use of chairs instead.

You can get a pair of folding chairs. Table attached to the wall and resting on 2 legs. Saw this on one photo of trailer for sale. Some people converted their motorhomes this way, here, on this forum. With normal dining chairs. Missing storage was TAD compensated by adding very nice shelf/bookcase above the wheel well, under the table (this space was wasted). Search the forum.

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
I often think putting on folding legs on the table would be the best solution. Then I could even take it outside and have a table outside when needed.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've read through all the suggestions - because have same problem, this is how these tables are designed - and it looks like important detail was overlooked. His window goes 5" BELOW the table bottom. The suggestion with piece of wood under the window might work. You can then bolt another piece of wood vertically on that board, so that it would reach the table, or come up with some Z-brackets. I'm only afraid that the other end will still wobble a little, because it is only supported in the middle. Don't know what to do with this other end.

All58Parks
Explorer
Explorer
I drilled the bases and install set screws on mine,and it eliminated 90% of the wobble. We even played a game of Jenga on that table during our last trip.
2014 Wildcat Maxx 26bhs
2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought the hardware today to mount the table to the wall. I will post pics when done.
Steve
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
Mine rocks also.. I have a u-shaped dinett, so I cant mount it to the wall. I'm thinking of drilling/tapping two holes in each flange for set screws..

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
Mine wobbles if I don't seat it hard enough in the floor. Usually, this means setting it, pushing it down with my hands, and then sitting on each end to "seal the deal".
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

PedroNW
Explorer
Explorer
Our TT table was wiggly, I milled a piece of redwood, rounded all edges, fastend it to the wall about a 1/16 below the table bottom with screws and strong adhesive (sika flex) then stapled adhesive backed velcro to the redwood and table bottom, the table was rock solid after that and it was a cheap fix

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
We put in a "Dream Dinette" system under our table and now the table is rock solid all the time. It changed from table up into bed with the push of one hand. It cannot be removed, it's either bed or table.

Check out "Dream Dinette" and look at the many images, then call the company from your RV and have a tape measure with you.

I am totally impressed with ours, an excellent product.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

westend
Explorer
Explorer
They make a table-to-wall latching system. It is really a simple deal, tabs A & B into slots A & B. In fact, if you wish, I'll see if the hardware from my old wall hung table is still available. It can be yours, easily.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Steve_Martin wrote:
Id take it back and ask for a replacement since the unit is a 2013..

I hear you but it is just the way these tables are designed. I have had 3 of these and they all wobbled. I'm just looking to modify it to my liking. Thanks
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY

Steve_Martin
Explorer
Explorer
Id take it back and ask for a replacement since the unit is a 2013..

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Try this:

Take the support tubes out to the picnic table and give the side of each end a good whack with a 2X4.

This will knock them slightly out of round, giving a tighter fit onto the sockets.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)