cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electronic Ignition for Stovetop (w/pics)

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got tired enough of the piezoelectric igniter on my Atwood stovetop that I decided to replace it with a battery-powered igniter unit. You know what Iโ€™m talking about. You twist the knob; bam, bam, bam . . . bam, bam, bam and sometimes the burner lights and sometimes not.:M
I removed the old igniter and took some measurement to determine the available real estate. I found a replacement electronic igniter for Charbroil grills from Home Depot for $30 that looked promising.
The hole for the original igniter was 5/8โ€ and the new one requires 7/8โ€. If you have a unibit step drill, that would work nice. But since I donโ€™t and didnโ€™t want to spend the $$ I used a stone grinder bit and โ€œhoggedโ€ the hole out to 7/8. You need to โ€œcheatโ€ the hole slightly up and to the left for a little more clearance for the igniter.
Pull the wires off the old igniter and slide them on to the new, order does not matter. Even though the old igniter has round pins and the new has spade pins, the terminals slide on with a tight fit and work fine. Due to the higher voltage of this unit I saw occasional flashover between the terminals when it was activated. I solved that by adding a second layer of heat shrink over the terminals.
The new igniter has four terminals and since the stovetop only has three burners, that left one to add a sparker for the oven pilot light. The new unit comes with spare 37โ€ and 32โ€ igniter wires. I joined the two together and they were long enough to reach across the stovetop, and follow the oven control plumbing down into the oven. The longer wire looks like it has a high-temp coating, but I also wrapped the part that is actually in the oven with high-temp fiberglass tape. I needed a sparker so I removed the one from my gas grill side burner, which I never use anyway. After removing the burner assembly from the oven, I โ€œguesstimatedโ€ the location for the sparker and drilled a 7/16โ€ hole in the pilot support plate. Once the sparker was in place, I reinstalled the burner assembly. The sparker electrode had to be โ€œtweakedโ€ slightly to get a reliable spark to the outlet end of the pilot light tube.
If you donโ€™t add the oven igniter, you need to install one of the supplied wires on the fourth terminal and coil and stow the wire so that it wonโ€™t short to the stove. If you donโ€™t do this, the bare terminal on the igniter will flashover to the others.
After installing the single AA battery and turning on the gas, it was time for a test run.
Aaaahh . . . The stovetop burners light almost instantly, quietly and reliably. The electronic ignition sparks about six times per second for as long as you hold the button as opposed to three sparks per half-revolution of the knob on the old one.
The oven pilot lights nicely. Iโ€™ve found that if you turn the oven knob to โ€œpilotโ€ and hold it for about 10 seconds and then push the igniter button, it will light almost instantly. I was a little concerned about the wire in the oven, so I heated the oven to 500 degrees for a test. Everything looks good and smoke check passed.
DW is HAPPY, and you know what that means . . .:B

Before

Old Piezoelectric Igniter

New Electronic Igniter

Oven Pilot Light Sparker Installation

After

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.
186 REPLIES 186

Harry_Havasu
Explorer
Explorer
YES !!!

Great and creative idea and great pics, too.

Question: How do you keep your range so clean ???
Harry Havasu

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
12thgenusa,

I saw your original post and sort of missed the fact that you included the oven. I was just thinking about how hard it is to use a lighter to lite the oven pilot light and say your thread come back up and read it more carefully and what you did for the oven pilot light is a stroke of genius and my complements. We almost never use our oven since we now have a convection oven to use, but your mod should be a first for those that use their actual oven as a main source of baking. It's amazing this is not offered as an option or an add on to the existing ovens since I bet the manufacturers would make a mint by offering this option/upgrade.

Great JOB and one of the MUST HAVE MODs for a lot of us.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Alpenliter
Explorer
Explorer
oldtrucker63 wrote:
Hey thanks for sharing, This will for sure be going into my oven when I finish the build, My oven is a bit older than what you guys have but the oven pilot lighting would be great, It is really hard to get down into the oven to light it, This will be a great fix, Thanks again everyone. (4 burner Magic Chef)

My wife couldn't get down low enough to light ours, so it seemed she was always calling on my to do it. It is a great mod, and well worth the time.
My first Wife Linda, 45+years
2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade
Bulletproof Diesel upgrades
1997 33' Alpenlite
400 Watts Solar
Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174
Escapees SKP#89882

Vietnam Vet '67-'68

[

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Hey thanks for sharing, This will for sure be going into my oven when I finish the build, My oven is a bit older than what you guys have but the oven pilot lighting would be great, It is really hard to get down into the oven to light it, This will be a great fix, Thanks again everyone. (4 burner Magic Chef)
Without Trucks,....America Stop's

radiow6lar
Explorer
Explorer
whiteeye42 wrote:
Well dumb of me to be thinking of safety because things do happen and things do break and propane in an enclosed space is not good at least if you lit the oven manually you would at least smelled the build up of propane before striking the match but then again it is only my opinion on this matter

No, you have a good point for safety but remember, there is no gas flowing if the control is turned up. AND no gas flows in the pilot unless the control is PUSHED and held in. So it would take having the control turned to the light position and being held in to get any gas flowing at the pilot. I don't see the chance of that happening much at all. It will do that even if you still have to light it with a match.
2004 F-150 XL Supercab.
HD, 4.10 Gears, Magnaflow, Airaid, Troyer Performance Tuned Xcal I.
2006 Aljo 225LT.
240 Watt Solar, Dual T-150's, Solar Boost.
Kenwood TS-480SAT , Sierra 1800, Ten Tec Hercules II,
Dell Laptop with SL-1 soundcard interface.

ronfisherman
Got back from a 4 month trip to warm country. DW is please with this upgrade. She told friends at the park we were in. Got the parts and installed one in their stove. One of the better upgrades I have done.
Thanks for the info again.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

goingnorth
Explorer
Explorer
If you need high temp tape you can use this metal foil duct tape, its pricey but you can use it at home to seal up any leaks in you ducts, I also use it to wrap the wire to temp probes when cooking.
13 F250 6.2L XLT CCSB 4x4 4.30 gears

09 Keystone Passport 290BH UF elec jack,30"scissor jacks+Eliminator Strut Stabilizer,PD9160+wizard,custom bumper hitch,added 18.5gal FW tank,dualcam HP 1200# WD,Fantastic Fan,Axle Flip,Lexan screen door covers.
My Mods.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks tenbear. I'm hoping to field test mine on a real camping trip in a few more weeks.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Hey 12thgenusa, your thread isn't dead! Now that spring is here, I remembered seeing this thread and found it after a litte searching. Went to Home Depot and bought the sparker and installed it this AM. Haven't turned on the gas yet but everything looks good. Thanks for the great post!
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our stove came from the factory with electronic ignition on the stove top, but not the oven. That's not a bad idea for the oven.

On our oven, the knob needs to be pushed in to get it past the pilot setting and the knob needs to be pushed in to light the pilot so I can't really see someone accidently turning and pushing the knob in accidently and get it at just the right location.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
On my Magic Chef range top there was not room to install the new electronic sparker (found a 3 wire unit on amazon) so I modded it with a remove switch which took the place of the old twist knob. Now I just have a small red button. Mounted the electronic sparker to a plate under the cook top. I used the original center mounter electrode and grounded the other two leads.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

HSIKES
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.:C
Horace & Bobbi
DRAKE - Yellow Lab (rescue dog)
2005 Fleetwood Providence 39 L; 4 slides; 350 Cat
2000 Saturn LW TOAD
2009 Buick Enclave CLX 2

Preach the gospel at all times. And if necessary.....use words.

jlaustin
Explorer
Explorer
HSIKES wrote:
I'm confused :h, but then again that doesn't take much.

I don't have an oven, just the counter top burners. My ignitor is a turn to the right, click click click. The new ignitor does what? Push in to light vs turning or is it powered by a battery?

Yes, the ignitor is battery powered and simply put, the only difference is pushing a button vs "click,click,click".

HOWEVER, the push-button igniter (IMHO) seems more reliable than the clicker to light the burners, but the major advantage is for those (like me) with Atwood ovens ... I guess to save a few pennies in production, they elected NOT to put an ignitor in the oven - you have to manually light it with a flame (it's difficult to light since it is under a metal shelf in the rear of the oven). The electronic ignitor has a FOURTH output that can be run to the oven's pilot and then you can have electronic ignition for your oven!

So, if you have only burners, it's probably no big advantage, but if you have an oven, it's one of the best "bang for the buck" (no pun intended!) mods you can do!

Regards,
John
John & Linda
2005 Pilgrim 274RL-5SS
2008 F-250
Amelia - the Welsh Terrier. Daisy, Bonny, & Rosie - the cats!

ronfisherman