cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Enclosed, Secure Bumper mounted Bike Rack

4advtr
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for some sort of enclosed, secure hitch mounted bike rack for the back of our trailer. I found the company below that makes them out of Canada, just wondering if there are any other options that I might not be aware of?

Komo Creation

I just wanted a good way to keep our fairly expensive bikes somewhat secure while travelling.

BTW, I have checked with the manufacturer and they checked with their engineering and confirmed I should be able to load 300 lbs on my rear bumper no problem, so covered there.
2014 Redwood 38BR
2013 Ford F-350 6.7L SRW
B&W Turnover, 18K Companion
6 REPLIES 6

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
4advtr wrote:

BTW, I have checked with the manufacturer and they checked with their engineering and confirmed I should be able to load 300 lbs on my rear bumper no problem, so covered there.

Wellllll ....

1. I just can't believe that number;

2. There is a HUGE difference between a "STATIC" and "LIVE or DYNAMIC" load on a bumper and they didn't specify that difference.

3. Installing things that seem to look secure and hide something is more inviting to someone thinking and wanting to acquire whatever you are trying to protect and hide for their use.

4. I wouldn't do what you are contemplating and if you do I would HIGHLY recommend installing a rear view camera so you can watch all that HEAVY and EXPENSIVE stuff hanging off your bumper.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
4advtr wrote:
Snip...
I just wanted a good way to keep our fairly expensive bikes somewhat secure while travelling.

I sure WOULD NOT be doing what you are thinking of doing! The weight of the bikes plus the weight of that device and the bouncing up and down during travel is almost a sure invitation to disaster - I don't care what the engineers say.

It is really a shame that one of our members, who posted pictures of his bumper/bike system laying in the road during a trip, has taken the pictures down or the site is no longer in business so we cannot see them anymore. Those pictures would convince you not to do what you are thinking of doing!:E

You might want to take a look at this thread for some good information about loading the rear bumper. The OP is the one I referenced in the paragraph above but starting on P.5 of that thread is some good information that you can probably use for your project.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Just make sure you reinforce or replace you existing bumper with a heavier part. The bikes create leverage that the spare tire doesn't come close to.

X2, all travel trailer bumpers are basically sheet metal bent into a square. They can barely hold a spare tire IMO. Take a close look at yours and you'll see. The constant flexing will crack it like a beer can.

We use a Yakima rack on our trailer but welded thick angle iron underneath that the 2" receiver is welded to. Very solid as it does not depend on the bumper for support. If you have a buddy that welds, it's normally a simple job.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Just make sure you reinforce or replace you existing bumper with a heavier part. The bikes create leverage that the spare tire doesn't come close to.

You can say that again!

And not just due to the leverage/weight of the bikes themselves...According to this specs link for the product described, the rack/container itself weighs at least 150 pounds EMPTY.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
that looks similar to one that I saw years ago, from Germany IIRC. that was designed to hold one or two bicycles in a clam shell fashion. had two wheels and you could remove it and roll it to chain it to a tree etc.
bumpy