cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fence post sewer holder

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
a few more questions please. I bought a fence post at Home Depot yesterday and a few hinges and locking mechanism, but I noticed that most of the pictures on the internet, the posts are not painted. I was thinking I would like to paint mine black if I am to mount the post near the drains. do the posts not take the paint or what is the reason for not painting them. and if you use a half round rain gutter for a tray, do the hoses lay down ok as to not get hung up on the screws used to secure the post to the hinges etc.
9 REPLIES 9

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I used an adhesion promoter and standard spray black from a can.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Instead of regular paint I used COLORBOND.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
Or buy a small can of Acetone and quickly wipe the plastic. Then spray paint it. It will Degloss the pipe.
I sprayed about 2' of each end of ours. It's all you ever see anyway.
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
momentum rv wrote:
krylon plastic paint works well
h

X2. There are lots of paints available that are designed for plastic.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I painted mine 3 seasons ago and not one flaking problem.
Here's what I did.
I got a red scotch brite pad and scuffed the whole post.
I then applied some clear followed by some black.
The black paint can had some plastic patio furniture on the label. I'm not sure if they still make that specific paint. I bought it all at Home Depot.
Scuffing takes the gloss off and the clear paint adheres to the post like a primer.
Back in the day I used to race remote control cars and we always painted the underside of the clear plastic bodies with clear 1st, then our choice of color.
So I just brought that idea with me. Not sure if it's necessary but it works great no the less.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I spray painted mine with Home Depot flat black .97 a can. I paint everything underneath with it and the pin box and bumpers too. Flat doesn't show all the ugly stuff.

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
krylon plastic paint works well
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Couple things...

Paint didn't stick in some places on mine. So, I roughed up with sand paper and then no problem.

I think my end cap has dented a little bit by heat?

I still like it better than displayed as a trophy sewer piece.:)

My trailer sits pretty high so I stuck mine in driveway striker thing. No problems over 10,000 miles. Folding steps are lowest thing on mine. I've got maybe an hour into mine.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Rain gutter would work. I used 4" PVC pipe and cut it in half. I use 4 ft lengths. I built blocks to hold each section up. The first section hangs from the bottom of the Mh.