cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

kitchen countertop removal

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
Time for a new top and sink. Any thoughts on removal of the existing countertop? Will it come out with damage to the drawer fronts and cabinet walls? Is it simply screwed in from below?
16 REPLIES 16

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand, why you do not remove everything first, look very carefully before you ask removal questions? Each rig is a little different.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer
My stove and sink rest on top of the formica/laminate as a drop in. Besides, the laminate is only 1/8th(est) of a inch thick. Beats removing all the plywood and other wood. Every project will necessitate some adjustments.

jmaotto
Explorer
Explorer
I cut the original top back to the cabinet so that it would not visible. Then glued the new top on it.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
scotty46 wrote:
If properly prepared, formica/laminate can be glued right on top of another stable formica/laminate surface. I have done it before with good results. No need to tear up the cabinet tops.

Wouldn't that not work because of the existing stove opening? Seems to me raising the height of the top would leave a gap between the bottom of stove and cabinet.

Could perhaps fill in the gap with matching wood (if available) but if his counter can be easily pulled out (which it now seems) that's probably the easier way to go.

On my motorhome, there's a gap there under the oven with the factory countertops. A bigger gap might be an improvement, as it would be easier to scare off the dust bunnies that like to frolic there where the vacuum wand can't bother them very much.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
scotty46 wrote:
If properly prepared, formica/laminate can be glued right on top of another stable formica/laminate surface. I have done it before with good results. No need to tear up the cabinet tops.

Most laminate countertops in RVs are edged with vinyl molding that is T-shaped and fits in a groove on the edge of the substrate. If you add a layer of laminate, the molding doesn't cover the edge of the laminate. Been there, done that. It looked OK, but I would have preferred to have the edge of the laminate covered. OTOH, if you are going to self-edge the laminate, there's no reason not to go over the top of the old laminate.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
scotty46 wrote:

Wouldn't that not work because of the existing stove opening? Seems to me raising the height of the top would leave a gap between the bottom of stove and cabinet.

Could perhaps fill in the gap with matching wood (if available) but if his counter can be easily pulled out (which it now seems) that's probably the easier way to go.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a granit type material that is thinner than normal and made to be glued over laminate. The edge is attached to you don't see any of the old top unless you are looking up from the floor.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
I am having a solid surface countertop company come to the mh and make a template. For the removal of the existing, my biggest concern is that the particle board is screwed down to the tops of the cabinetry first and then the laminate glued in place. So, I pulled out some drawers and took off a cabinet door to really look inside to see how it was constructed. There are no real cabinets, only frames w/ drawers and a door along the front. Inside the space is all open. Hard to explain. But I did see cleats all around the inside perimeter with screws going into the top from the bottom and screws going into the frames from the back. All the screws should be fairly easy to remove once I pull the stove and sink. Thanks for the suggestions and insight

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rekoj71 wrote:
This^^, but my experience says the counter from manufacturers is usually cheaper particle board verses the better MDF. Either way removal is the same. I installed counters for years and some got glued down but most were just screwed down, but after the laminate had been pre-applied. I wouldn't be surprised though if an RV top was Glued and Screwed.

Edit: if glued, a crowbar or wrecking bar can pry up the countertop from the cabinet but be sure to pry overtop of the vertical frame pieces and not on the cross bars that go over drawers or cabinet openings. They could be popped out of alignment. Best would also be to do this from inside the cabinet as to not ruin the outer finish.

Good luck.

I will go 3X to this as, unlike a house they have the complete counter top pre-made and screwed in from the underside.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
This^^, but my experience says the counter from manufacturers is usually cheaper particle board verses the better MDF. Either way removal is the same. I installed counters for years and some got glued down but most were just screwed down, but after the laminate had been pre-applied. I wouldn't be surprised though if an RV top was Glued and Screwed.

Edit: if glued, a crowbar or wrecking bar can pry up the countertop from the cabinet but be sure to pry overtop of the vertical frame pieces and not on the cross bars that go over drawers or cabinet openings. They could be popped out of alignment. Best would also be to do this from inside the cabinet as to not ruin the outer finish.

Good luck.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have no idea how they build those units, but laminate is normally glued onto a substrate like MDF. Then the MDF is typically screwed into from below. I doubt the substrate would be glued down. Just look from underneath to see if there's screws. The laminate/substrate counter top will come out together as an assembly.

There should be caulking all around the countertop perimeter which will need to be cut to break the seal, then completely removed before installing new caulking. (If it's silicone, silicone will not adhere to cured silicone.)

When it comes to RVs, not much is straight, plumb, level or square as it should be. You should carefully check before cutting a new counter top. A template may help. If there is a wall at left and right hand sides of the top, you do NOT want to cut wrong or too short... The back wall may not be straight either - so check with a straightedge.

Remove any drawers. It will probably help to remove cabinet doors (by undoing screws in hinges). If a range in there too, you should pull that out - but do NOT forget to reconnect the propane properly.

Are you getting a new top pre-cut to size or buying an over-sized piece and trimming it?

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
I would strongly suggest you contact Georgie Boy to see what they say. I am sure there is as many tie downs and screwed/glued combinations as the mind can imagine.

GB was bought by Coachman and I have sent them an email. Hopefully somebody is still around that remembers. Thanks

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
What type is it?
Typically if it is laminant the sub straight is screwed or stapled down, laminant is then glued on.
If it is solid surface it will be glued down with silicone.
When I have removed both of my counter tops, i simply set my circular saw to make shallow cuts, cut the counter top, and pryed them up and carried them out in pieces. No damage.

The existing is laminate and I was hoping you wouldn't say "laminate is then glued on". But that is a good suggestion to remove it by cutting shallow cuts. Thanks